So I just got TestRail installed and running locally! It was a breeze, with a couple of things that could be solved by enhancing the documentation a bit.
From start to finish, including download time for the prerequisites, I spent about 90 minutes. I was a little worried that some of the installation would be tough because i’m running Windows 7, but all of the steps were true to the Windows installation guide ( http://www.gurock.com/support/docs/testrail/admin/installation-windows.html ) and everything was pretty well documented.
Here are my suggestions for the windows installation manual from start to finish: (1.2 Installation on Windows)
This step went smoothly, it would have been nice to have a list of things in the Web Platform Installer that I should be checking, but it’s nice that you can always go back and add more (I didn’t realize I needed the SQL Server Management Studio). Also, it would be good to mention at this time that you should use “Mixed Mode” authentication when installing SQL. Luckily, I guessed right.
Why don’t you include ioncube as part of the testrail download? That would be more convenient, IMHO. Regardless, it was easy enough to follow the steps to get it.
Also, this instruction made me unsure:
I did get that error when checking the php -v command, so I disabled the line for mssql. Later, when I couldn’t connect to SQL (ill get to that later), I ended up hunting down a copy of ntwdblib.dll and un-commenting that line. I’m still not sure if I really needed it.
Once I realized I needed to download Management Studio and got in, this part was easy.
The only part that confused me here was that I was getting SQL connection errors. I didn’t know what to use for my hostname, but eventually I used MYMACHINENAME\SQLEXPRESS i believe, as it showed in the Management Studio (another lucky guess) and it connected just fine.
Also, it would be nice to have a feature of sending out a test email to see that your email server configuration settings worked right at this time.
One more thing, in Windows 7 I had to add the “IUSR” user to my access list for the two folders (logs and attachments) manually. Adding this to the instructions wouldn’t hurt.
All in all, i’m very impressed with how smoothly this process went. I’ll have to let you know if Gmail worked – I think it’s blocking the emails because they’re to myself.
Thanks for letting me be part of the beta!