Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Sub-projects

Will you be adding the capabilities to create sub projects? That way We’ll be able to better structure our projects hierarchy.

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. We’ve received the request to add project folders to TestRail before and we will look into this for one of the next update. Would project folders also help with the organization of your projects?

Thanks,
Dennis

I have 105 projects in my dashboard right now (more coming), and searching for one in particular isn’t easy (I’m using ctrl-f to search for projects).
If I could structure them hierarchichally, then only aprox. 50 projects would show up, and I could navigate through them using tree controls (+ to open a branch, - to collapse). A search feature would be much appreciated also.
From a technical POV, it would only entail a new parentID column in the projects table, and the modification of the projetcs page to show the projects in a tree structure.
Would project folders behave this way? Would I be allowed to create subfolders (subprojects) for every project folder?

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. I assume you already activated the compact view for the dashboard (via the little icon in the toolbar), to make it easier to scan that many projects?

We are looking into supporting project folders, and project folders would basically allow you to group related projects in a folder, so you would only see the projects of a selected folder. It’s not yet clear if we will also support sub-folders when/if we add this feature. I say “if” because this feature hasn’t been scheduled for a specific release yet, but I would like to see this added very soon hopefully (for one of the next updates ideally).

You mentioned you have 105 projects. Are all of these projects active, are have you already completed some of these projects? If so then you could also mark those projects as completed (by editing them) and this would move the completed projects to the “completed” list.

Thanks,
Dennis

Yes, I am using the compact view, but 105 projects is a lot of projects. I have to ctrl-f all the time.
All this projects are active, and they always will be. These are applications in use in our organization, and they require bug fixings or small updates every now and then.

Project folders sound like a project tree, but with only one level. That will work out fine for me, since most of our projects are only one level deep. You should expand on that idea and just make a project tree. Several child branches/only one father branch. OnTime uses a project tree.

Hello,

I understand that project folders would be good to have to manage that many projects, and we would like to add this. It’s not yet clear if we will support just one or multiple hierarchy levels, but it’s on our feature request list.

Thanks for your feedback!

Regards,
Dennis

Hi
I just wanted to +1 this request. Grouping projects would be extremely useful to us, as we can then have a main folder for each client, and then the project folders within those.
Thanks
Christine.

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, we’ve received this request multiple times now and will definitely look into this.

Thanks,
Dennis

Don’t forget a search feature in the projects page!

Thanks, I’ve added this to our feature request list. It’s likely that we will add folders first and look into the search feature after that.

Regards,
Dennis

Hi,

Could you provide a time table for when this subproject feature would be implemented and available for a TestRail upgrade?

Thanks.

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. We don’t currently have a time frame for this feature but it’s on our feature request list and we’ve received this request multiple times through different channels and it’s higher on the list of the things we would like to add. We will look into this for one of the next updates.

Thanks,
Dennis

[quote=dgurock]Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. We don’t currently have a time frame for this feature but it’s on our feature request list and we’ve received this request multiple times through different channels and it’s higher on the list of the things we would like to add. We will look into this for one of the next updates.

Thanks,
Dennis[/quote]

Does this feature already implement in current version?
How to use it?
Thanks.

Alston

Hello Alston,

Thanks for your posting. Sub-projects or project folders are not available and we recommend using the compact view mode on the dashboard if you have a large amount of projects. You can also look into marking finished projects as completed and those projects are displayed separately from active projects (you can close a project using a “This project is completed” option when editing a project). Would this work for you?

Regards,
Tobias

Does this feature already implement in current version?

Thanks.

Hi Daniel,

The support for sub-projects or project groups hasn’t changed and we still recommend the approach I mentioned in my previous posts, i.e. using the compact view mode on the dashboard and the completed option for projects. I’m happy to add another vote to this feature request, thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,
Tobias

Please add my vote to this feature. Any organization of the projets will help in enterprise environment where you might have hundreds of active small projets to manage. Perhaps roles per folder/parent will help with teams working in certain domain vs others.

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for your feedback! The most recent TR version now has project favorites to highlight important projects on the dashboard and this makes it much easier to focus on your current projects. We also added a new feature for handling sprints/iterations (via sub-milestones) and this also adds additional structure to projects.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi :slight_smile:

Once the completed project option has been chosen when editing a project, we’ve found that test runs can still be added to it. Is this something that is allowed especially after a project has been completed?

I was assuming the project had to be re-opened to allow the addition of test cases and test runs.

Thanks,

Dani

Hi,

Thank you for your post. You can in fact add test runs to a closed project. Normally, we would recommend setting the project as read-only once you have closed it out if you want no changes to be made to it.