Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Starting a list with a different number than 1

Often in my test cases I want to make a list that does not start with 1., like this:

1. First Item

2. Second Item

But, when I save it it shows like:

1. First Item

2. Second Item

So, I have been forced to do this (not indenting) to force it to keep 3. and 4., which is not very pretty.

3.First Item

4.Second Item

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks.

Steven

It’s me replying to my own question. It did it here also! The first section should have had (not with quotes, but just using to try to force it to show what I want):

“3. First Item”

“4. Second Item”

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, the lists are auto-indexed and you can even use the same index for all items (so you wouldn’t necessarily need to assign indexes yourself). This can be disabled if you switch off the rich-text support for the field in question (e.g. Steps or Expected Result) but this will result in losing all editor/rich-text format capabilities (such as tables, code blocks etc.) which most teams usually wouldn’t want.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

What do you mean by “you can even use the same index for all items (so you wouldn’t necessarily need to assign indexes yourself)”?

Thanks.

Steven

The list is auto-indexed and you can use the same indexes for all items as in (omitting the space because of the forum here):

1.One
1.Two
1.Three

Will turn into:

1. One
  2. Two
  3. Three

Cheers,
Tobias

Thank you Tobias!!!

You are welcome, Steven!

Cheers,