Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Sorting of a multi-select field

Currently a multi-select is sorted by the ID you associate to each entry in the field; rather than by the value that is going to be displayed.

Not a big deal when putting in the fields; but a fairly big deal when using that field as a filter field; as it becomes a drop down that you pick from. If the entries are not in alphanumeric order; and you have say, more than a few dozen, it can become very difficult to find the specific one you want to filter on.

If I would have realized this a bit earlier; I probably would have created all the keys with plenty of room between each one so that I could alphabetize them that way, but I didn’t and now we are stuck with the keys (unless i could use “1.1” etc…).

Anyhow, does this make sense and if so, could we get it added to the “when we have time” feature list?

Hello Jim,

Thanks for your posting! You can reorder the values in the custom field options and sort them in alphabetical order if you like. It’s just important that the ID => label mapping is not changed but the order is fully customizable. For example, if you have the following configuration now:

1,B
2,A
3,C

You can reorder this to the following if you like:

2,A
1,B
3,C

It’s just important to keep the same ID => label mapping (because the case objects reference the IDs).

The same behavior also applies to dropdown fields by the way.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

This works great actually! I didn’t realize (and probably didn’t investigate closely enough) that it displays in actual order. Although having to manually alphabetize it (a slight annoyance :smile:) I’m happy to do just that.

Hi Jim,

Great to hear that this works for you :smile:

Cheers,
Tobias