Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Some disappointment with the JIRA Integration

Let me first by saying that the viewing of testrail status and test cases from JIRA works quite well. But I also noticed that none of the testrail information displayed is actually available inside the JIRA database.

This makes querying in JIRA for coverage impossible and really puts a wrench in my plans. Now, I know you can query in TR for test cases that do not have a reference, but that is putting the horse behind the cart as my requirements are all stored as issues in JIRA and I need to approach the query from there.

What I would need in JIRA, as part of the issue record, is the following information: Test case ID, summary, test case type, status (this one I use to track progress) and last test result.

What I also would need, is that this information is continuously kept in sync or at least triggered manually.

Now, I can create custom fields in JIRA, write some code myself for the synchronization and be done with it, but I would like to think that I am not the only person who has run into this. I’d like to suggest a better more complete integration that is not just skin deep.

Thanks,

Roland Stens

Hi Roland,

Thanks for your feedback! Please note that you would run coverage reports for requirements etc. directly in TestRail instead, as we specifically have coverage reports for this under the Reports tab. So there would be no need to try to reinvent this inside JIRA, as this would also be difficult to do in JIRA, as they don’t have such a report option.

It would be difficult and often times even impossible for TestRail to store attributes with JIRA issues, as we specifically designed the integration so no direct JIRA <-> TestRail link is required. You can learn more about why this design has many benefits on the Atlassian blog, where our integration was recently featured:

https://developer.atlassian.com/blog/2016/02/universal-addons-for-jira-server-cloud/

I understand that it could be useful to have some attributes stored with JIRA issues, but it would be very difficult to accomplish this in a reliable and scalable way, as many of our customers have large numbers of test cases and test results. The JIRA API could be offline for a moment for example, so we would need to design a complex queue system to make this reliable etc. Instead, having such reports directly inside TestRail works much more reliably and is much faster, so this approach scales better and is a much better fit for how the JIRA API and plug-in system works, especially with the new Atlassian Connect platform TestRail uses for JIRA Cloud.

Thank you for your answer.

Not storing attributes in JIRA is actually a hinderance as I would like to filter my issues in JIRA on the existence of test results or test cases. As JIRA is my source of truth for requirements as well, it is the natural place to start the investigation for instance on coverage.

What I have to do now, is to extract my issue (requirements) IDs from JIRA and place them in the coverage report as “The following references only:”. This works, but when I try this with my 960 requirements (many not yet covered) the report fails to report any test case related to a reference and I definitely have test cases for some of the references. You might have a bug here.

I understand the scalability issue and the choices that needed to be made but it came with a price.

Anyway, we’ll just move forward with this. I might write some code myself to take care of this.

Thanks again.

Hi there!

Thanks for the additional feedback! Regarding the report: it might be best to send us a screenshot of both the report settings as well as the report or a screenshot of parts of the report so we can explain which setting might be wrong or clarify the report results. You can send this information to us at contact@gurock.com.

Thanks!

Report sent to contact@gurock.com

Thanks

Thanks, Roland! We will make sure to get back to you via email.

Cheers,
Tobias