Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

SmartInspect Router and Disconnected usage

I am assuming on a production environment each server will have Smart Inspect Router installed and will collect data and then forward them to a central server. What happens if its a disconnected setup so the router can connect to the central server , say every hour.

Can the router buffer all the log files and send it ? of is my option to just log to a file and the pull the file (using FTP etc)

Jay

Hello Jay,

the Router has no support for buffering log data and sending them later. In case it loses a connection to the central server, the Router can be configured to try a reconnect (also periodically if you wish, for example, once a minute), but it has no support for buffering the incoming data and sending it later when the connection works again.

What you can do is to use the local Router instances to log to log files (instead of forwarding them to the central server) and collect these log files yourself and upload them to the central server periodically.

Regards,
Tobias

The SI Console , can it auto save data. We are planing on using it as the log aggrgator but i want to make sure the data we get into the console is saved periodically or in real time so we do not lose the log data

Jay

Hello Jay,

you would need to use the SmartInspect Router for this. The Console does not support auto-saving data to log files. It’s not really meant to act as a server-like application. If you are concerned about losing data when your central server is not reachable by local Router instances, I would recommend the scenario I mentioned above (let the local Routers write to log files and collect these log file periodically). Hope this helps, just let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias