Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

SmartInspect.dll requires a later version of the .NET Framework error

My project is set to .NET 3.5, and I’m using Visual Studio 2010. I have Gurock.SmartInspect.dll v 3.3.2.49. When I add the reference to this DLL to my project, I get the message: “‘Gurock.SmartInspect.dll’, or one of its dependencies, requires a later version of hte h.NET Framewok than the one specified in the project.” Setting the project’s target .NET version to v4.0 resolves the problem. However, my requirements require .NET 3.5.

Also, if I open :\Program Files (x86)\Gurock Software\SmartInspect Professional\lib\dotnet\v3.x\ReadMe.txt, it says to use the DLL’s from the v2.x folder, which I have done. If these files were built using .NET 2.x, then why do they require .NET v4.x for me to use them?

Additionally, my GAC does not have any Gurock files in it. Here is some of the text from my csproj file after adding the reference:

<PropertyGroup> <Configuration Condition=" '$(Configuration)' == '' ">Debug</Configuration> <Platform Condition=" '$(Platform)' == '' ">x86</Platform> <ProductVersion>8.0.30703</ProductVersion> <OutputType>Library</OutputType> <TargetFrameworkVersion>v3.5</TargetFrameworkVersion> <TargetFrameworkProfile /> </PropertyGroup> <Reference Include="Gurock.SmartInspect, Version=3.3.2.49, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a78b0a9303ab7a7c, processorArchitecture=MSIL"> <SpecificVersion>False</SpecificVersion> <HintPath>..\..\Bin\Gurock.SmartInspect.dll</HintPath> </Reference> <Reference Include="Gurock.SmartInspect.DebugTrace, Version=3.3.2.49, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a78b0a9303ab7a7c, processorArchitecture=MSIL"> <HintPath>..\..\Bin\Gurock.SmartInspect.DebugTrace.dll</HintPath> <SpecificVersion>False</SpecificVersion> </Reference>

So what do I need to do here to make this work with .NET v3.5?

Hello,

Thanks for your posting. The v2.x\Gurock.SmartInspect.dll was actually compiled against a 2.x .NET framework version and this should also be displayed when you view the properties of the DLL in Visual Studio (Solution Explorer | References | Properties for Gurock.SmartInspect.dll | Runtime Version). Do you see a different version there? Could you also try this with the latest version of SmartInspect (3.3.4)?

Thanks again and I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Tobias

The runtime version is listed as v2.0.50727. I’ll get the latest version and see if that helps.

Moving to SmartInspect v3.3.4.102 resolved that error when adding the reference. Thank you.

Thanks for the update and good to hear that it works now. Please let me know in case there’s anything else I can help with.

Regards,
Tobias