Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

SmartInspect Delphi Plugin (Beta)

Hello,

We are happy to announce the first beta release of the new SmartInspect Delphi Plugin. This plugin allows you to easily add Enter/LeaveMethod calls to your Delphi source code by automatically instrumenting selected methods and functions. More about the plugin on our blog:

http://blog.gurock.com/postings/announcing-the-smartinspect-delphi-plugin-beta/271/

Hello,

Are you planning to create similar plugin for Eclipse? It also would be very useful to be able to create enter/leave automatically.

Hello Piotr,

we are currently working on a similar Visual Studio plugin and are also looking into developing a Java IDE plugin. When/if we release a plugin for Java, it will very likely be for Eclipse.

By the way, have you looked into AOP (Aspect-Oriented Programming) for instrumenting enter/leaveMethod calls? I think especially for Java there are good frameworks out there. This is also something we want to look into soon.

Yes, AOP is a perfect framework to put enter/leave logging into a method interceptor.
By the way, it would be also good to have also in Delphi. I found a package called MeAOP which provides something similar to AOP. However, I haven’t tested it yet.

best regards
Piotr Rezmer

I have another idea. It would be useful to create automatically by the plugin a line right after .enterMethod(). That line could contain something like this:

logDebug( Format"method parameters:. myParam1:%s, myParam2: %s" ,
[myParam1,myParam2] ));