Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

SmartInspect Console crashes

I am running 64-bit Windows 8. A client sent me a large .sil file generated by our product (1.115 GB). I tried to open it in the SmartInspect Console. It gets about 70% done loading the .sil file (around 560k packets). Any thoughts on this? Anything I can do to get access to the log data?

Forgot to mention: my SmartInspect version is SmartInspect Professional v3.3.3.72.

I just downloaded and installed 3.3.4. Now the Console version is 3.3.4.102. It is still crashing when attempting to load that file, around the same point.

I received an email back from Gurock. Here’s what they said:

Please split the SmartInspect log file into smaller pieces as the Console cannot display such large log files (this is a memory-based limitation). SmartInspect comes with a split tool and you can download this from the Extras page:

http://www.gurock.com/smartinspect/extras/

(SmartInspect Resource Kit)

We recommend log files of 100MB or less. You could also look into using SmartInspect’s log file rotation feature to automatically generate smaller chunks.

Here’s a bit more information:

• The Resource Kit is a VS2005 project.
  • The solution also requires the SmartInspect SDK, which is another VS2005 project you can download at the same link.
  • I opened both projects in VS2012 and they updated without a problem.
  • I built SmartInspect SDK and then updated the references in the Resource Kit solution to point to the newly built Gurock.SmartInspect.SDK.dll file.
  • I copied the following files to a folder and ran the split program from there:

Gurock.SmartInspect.dll
Gurock.SmartInspect.SDK.dll
Gurock.SmartInspect.Tools.dll
SmartInspectSplit.exe

• I copied my large log.sil file to a folder and then went to that folder in a command prompt.
  • I ran the following command-line:

\SmartInspectSplit /in:log.sil /out:logsplit.sil /size:100

The result was 11 files with names like logsplit0.sil.

Thanks for summarizing this, that’s appreciated!

Regards,
Tobias