Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

SmartInspect 4.0 RoadMap

I’m currently evauluating SmartInspect 3.3 for our organization and I’m impressed with what you currently have.

I’m wondering what the SmartInspect roadmap is and what is planned for 4.0?

If 4.0 is in the work, when is expected (roughly)?

From what I can tell, there hasn’t been a major release of SmartInspect for a while.

Will be see deeper support for .NET 4.0, Silverlight, WPF, RIA Services, etc?

Will we see a UI overhaul? Not that the UI is bad, just seeing if you would take advantage of better frameworks like WPF/Silverlight.

Douglas

Hello Douglas,

[quote]I’m wondering what the SmartInspect roadmap is and what is planned for 4.0?
If 4.0 is in the work, when is expected (roughly)?[/quote]

Thanks for your message. We don’t currently have a public roadmap for SmartInspect 4.0. We do want to eventually share our plans for the next versions, but work on SmartInspect 4.0 has not yet begun. We are looking at all the possible options for future SmartInspect versions and there are quite a few major features we want to see in the future (both to make SmartInspect more flexible/customizable and to allow new usage scenarios and better support for specific applications; this might also include support for database logging and other things I cannot share at the moment).

These are definitely things that we are considering, but we might also gradually improve support for those technologies instead of introducing it all at once in the next major version (this is not likely for Silverlight though, as this will require a major effort on our side).

We don’t currently plan to rewrite the UI, as we are very happy with the performance characteristics of the current Console and we are not sure how the Console would perform if we used other technologies. It is very likely though that the Console UI would get an overhaul, or at least additional enhancements and optimizations.

Thanks,
Dennis