Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Shared test cases across projects

I’ve used TestRail at my former company (mostly web testing) for years, but I just started at a fairly new mobile startup and I’m helping them port their test cases over to TestRail.

Currently we have two main projects for iOS and Android, using the ‘recommended’ single Master test suite model. The product (mobile app) is the same, however the projects are obviously not identical… right now we’re trying to figure out the best way to manage and/or track common, non-OS specific test cases (such as basic component functionality, regressing bugs on the platform, etc.).

Ideally it’d be cool to be able to pull cases from the same repository (so we don’t have to maintain two copies of the same test case), but not sure how well that would work having separate projects. Not to mention, steps might differ slightly across the different UIs. Is there maybe a way to link test cases across projects…?

Guess I’m mostly just curious if anyone else has had similar challenges, either with managing mobile app testing or just sharing very similar (if not identical) test cases, and/or has any suggestions for handling it.

Thanks!! :slight_smile:

Hello Abby,

Thanks for your posting. We usually recommend using a single project whenever it makes sense as this has a few advantages for executing test runs (you can choose from the entire case repository), generating reports and having shared milestones. For example, you could look into using a single project and separate sections for the iOS, Android and common test cases. You can alternatively also use the traditional multi-suite mode with three test suites for this.

Is having separate projects a requirements (e.g. to manage different permissions) or would one combined project also be an option?

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks so much for the speedy response. A combined project could be an option…

The reason we split them is mainly because we’ve been using Milestones as both sprints and major version releases, and our release and sprint schedules differ (as they are two separate scrum teams, entirely).

One disadvantage I’ve noticed about the multi-suite model is that you can only drill down to one sub-section per suite section. Does there happen to be a way around that?

I’d prefer to not have to rearrange the entire project structure (since everyone’s just starting to get used to the current one)… is there at least a way to add a custom field, for example, to link certain test cases and/or sections across projects? I suppose the URL field could be a potential workaround.

Thanks,
Abby

Hello Abby,

Thanks for your reply. You can use test plans for sprints/iterations instead (e.g. weekly or bi-weekly) and keep milestones for larger versions and releases. We have quite a few customers using this approach for agile testing and this works very well.

Regarding multi-suites: multiple suites have the exact same section features as the other modes and you can add/use as many sections as you like. You might have switched to the compact view mode which only displays a single section at a time (can be changed back in the sidebar on the right):

Regarding custom fields: you can also link to other objects in TestRail in the rich-text fields (e.g. Steps or Expected Result) using the following syntax:

This would insert a link to the test case with ID C17. This also works for projects, suites, runs, plans, tests and milestones (P#, S#, R#, also R#, T# and M#). You can also add a separate custom field for this (rich-text/Markdown requires a custom field of type Text).

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Tobias

Hi,

I’m using TR in a mobile situation as well (iOS and Android). What I ended up doing is creating a large test suite which covers the app (same pretty much for both OSes). I have a large suite of test cases broken down into sections (sign up/in, etc). What I am looking to figure out is how to get these test associated with jira story sub-tasks. It almost seems I’d have to break these sections out into projects and associate each of them to sub-tasks or something along those lines (if I was to go this route).

Currently I am setting milestone (version release). I’d like to eventually break down the test case sections to point to sub-tasks of a story. Specific details on what to do would be helpful for me to contemplate going this route down the road, i.e. create proj->test suite->put sections/cases into suite and from project associate references to this for view/add defects? Is that about right?

Tobias,

Thank you so much, I’m definitely going to try creating the custom field for Linked test cases.

We do have Sprint test plans, as well, to organize test runs by user story. We only found having the Sprint as a milestone useful, so that we could link our user story test cases to it. Though, that might not be necessary as we’re already using the References field for that…

Either way, you’ve given me some things to think about! Thank you! :slight_smile:

We’ve been using the References field to tie test cases to Jira stories (has the same integration as the Defects field, we just use it purely to link cases to the Jira story or bug that spawned them). And that way we can section use cases by component/functionality, and not by user stories. Also makes it easier to create test runs for the sprint, cause we can just filter the cases by Reference.

Not sure if that’s helpful or answers your question, but something to consider if you haven’t already!

[quote=msoucy]Hi,

I’m using TR in a mobile situation as well (iOS and Android). What I ended up doing is creating a large test suite which covers the app (same pretty much for both OSes). I have a large suite of test cases broken down into sections (sign up/in, etc). What I am looking to figure out is how to get these test associated with jira story sub-tasks. It almost seems I’d have to break these sections out into projects and associate each of them to sub-tasks or something along those lines (if I was to go this route).

Currently I am setting milestone (version release). I’d like to eventually break down the test case sections to point to sub-tasks of a story. Specific details on what to do would be helpful for me to contemplate going this route down the road, i.e. create proj->test suite->put sections/cases into suite and from project associate references to this for view/add defects? Is that about right?[/quote]

Hi abby,

Ok, I guess my question is: Are you utilizing defect view url, defect add url and reference view url?

I am also trying to share the latest test cases across projects. I have a base test case repository project and then a smoke test project for each release (so multiple projects) and regression test projects for each release (again multiple projects). Is there a way to have the test cases update in the smoke/regression projects when the base test repository is updated?