Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Set default test case template per project

Our TestRail installation has recently been upgraded from 5.1 to 5.2 (TestRail v.5.2.0.3452 to be precise).
Our admins have created two test case templates, one that uses steps and one that uses gherkin type fields which we call BDD, the default template is the basic test case with steps template. We have a roughly 50:50 split between projects using the two templates.
The problem that we are now experiencing is that for all projects that have already used the fields now added to the BDD template, we can no longer see those fields as the global default is now the testcase with steps template which does not inlcude those fields. We can fix this by doing a bulk change on a per test suite basis to set the template. It is not ideal but its better than having to do every test manually.

What I would like to know is there a way to set the defaiult test template to use at a per project level, and if so how?

If this is not possible then this should be part of a feature to define how fields are applied per project rather than the current implementation of apply projects to use fields on a per field basis.

Thanks

Can I put a +1 on this request. Would be interested to hear any other work arounds too.

Hi Tom, Mark,

Thanks for your postings. It’s currently not possible to set a default template per project (only globally) but we are happy to look into this. We understand that this makes sense in certain situations and we are happy review this, thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi,

Add my vote for setting the default template for particular project.

Thanks,
Didzis

Thanks for your feedback, Didzis!

Cheers,
Tobias

A very definite yes please to this one!

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback! I’ve added your vote to the request!

Regards,
Marco