Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Selecting Multiple Test ID's from Test Run and assigning "MileStone" to each Test ID

Dear All,

Is there a way to select multiple test cases (i.e. Test ID’s) in Test Run and set the Milestone to those test cases (i.e. Test ID’s)? I do not want Milestone to be set from Test Suite.

Would appreciate if anyone can respond on this.

When you create a test run, you can choose what cases to add to the run, and then set a milestone for that specific Test Run.

Hi Srini,

Yep, you can set the milestone on the test run level via the Milestone when adding or editing the test run. If you don’t want to include all cases in the run, you can customize the case selection via the Select Cases (“Select specific test cases”, then “change selection”).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi.
Is there any chance to select few test cases from few test suits to 1 test run?

thank you

Hi Volodia,

Thanks for your posting! A test run is always linked against a single test suite but you can use test plans to start test runs for multiple suites. This also supports configurations in case you also want to test against different platforms or environments:

http://www.gurock.com/testrail/videos/test-plans-configurations/

We usually recommend using the single-suite mode for projects in order to have a single, large case repository and this would allow you to create runs for the entire repository but also for subsets of cases:

Cheers,
Tobias

Thank you with this, I will try it and let you know some feedback)

Another thing I was wondering: Some of my TCs are referenced to the closed stories in Jira, but I have to rerun them regarding testing of new functionalyti, so I reference them with new stories. And now, bacause of my Jira-testrail integration, both old and new results are visible on the details page of old and new stories. Though old test results are not valid for new story and new test result is not valid for old story,

Is there any chance to differ what results we want to show and where?

thank you in advance

Hi Volodia,

Thanks for the additional feedback! Test cases & results are shown based on the links via the Defects and References fields, so it’s expected that new results would show up if the cases are still linked to the previous issue. One option you could look into is to create a new case for the new functionality which you then only link to the new JIRA issue. If you frequently have this scenario and for multiple cases, then it can make sense to use the baseline feature for advanced versioning.

Cheers,
Tobias

What if I will use Defects field to link “Passed” result with the issue in jira, to link unique result, what problems I may get?

thank you

Hi Volodia,

There wouldn’t be any issues and you would simply see a green “Passed” result in JIRA in the TestRail: Results panel. It’s not a problem if you link passed result of course and TestRail would show this just like any other result type.

Cheers,
Tobias

Thank you very much for your feed back)

You are welcome, Volodia :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias