Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Search within separated steps

As far as I can tell, it is not possible to search within custom separate steps. Am I missing something here? I setup the steps in my customization exactly as shown in http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-faq/config-steps but whenever I search for text that exists within the steps, I cannot find the cases.

In truth, I mostly do not want to search within the steps, but every so often I would want to.

In another post relating to bulk search/replace it was recommended to do the xml export, search/replace/ and re-import. I’m looking into making a local cache of my steps to accomplish search/replace, but it would be helpful to be able to do a search of the steps from the web interface.

Hello,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, this is correct and separated steps are currently not covered by the search. It’s planned to look into this and we already have this on our todo list. Export/find & replace/re-import was the workaround before the bulk-editing was introduced (available since TR 4.0) and is no longer the recommend way to update multiple test cases. That said, you can certainly use the XML exports to build a local query cache for searching steps.

I hope this helps and I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Tobias

When do you think the search within separated steps will be available?

Hi John,

We currently don’t have an update or estimate for this. Supporting the steps requires a more advanced/reworked search so it’s difficult to say when this will be available. But I added another vote to this feature request as mentioned for now and we review feature requests for every new version.

Cheers,
Tobias