Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Search section descriptions

The search (at the top of the page) that does search through all items within the project, doesn’t seem to search section names nor the section’s Description field.

It would just be nice to include this in the search as we sometimes have keywords that are specified there and do not use the same term in the test cases themselves. Or I’m actually looking for the section.

Hi Roxanna,

Thanks for your posting. We are happy to look into this and I added this to our feature request list for now, thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,
Tobias

I’d like to throw in another vote for the ability to search all test cases by keyword from that master search. We have an automated sanity check that pulls tests from multiple suites when it runs. We have tagged the various tests in that sanity check with a specific keyword to make finding them easier, but if we can’t use that keyword to search, it makes it difficult to know which suites to pull in for a given test plan/run. Once we’ve pulled in a suite, of course, we can use the keyword to choose tests within the suite. But we need the higher-level search to know what suites to target in the first place.

Hi @faith,

Thanks for your posting. The master search would cover searching all cases and you would see all cases/suites that would include your field. The search also includes custom fields like text and string fields. In general, we would recommend using just a single test suite/case repository so you have all cases in a central place which makes it easier to start runs/plans and create reports for the entire case repository.

Cheers,
Tobias

Except that when I search for a given keyword (which is a multi-select custom field), I am not finding any tests that I have just marked with that keyword. I can see the keyword if I go into the test description, I just can’t find the test if I search in that master search for it. It is showing me “No results found.”

And we have almost 9000 test cases defined now, plus more being added daily. Putting them all in a single suite was not manageable. We are managing them all under a single project.

Hi @faith,

Thanks! Multi-select fields wouldn’t be covered by the search and it’s mainly a text based search and searches text/string fields (system and custom). We would recommend trying out the single-suite mode to see if this would work for your team (e.g. in a separate project) and a single case repository would scale to much larger numbers than 9000 cases. Instead of using test suites as the top-level entity, you can just add an additional level of sections. For large suites/case repositories, we recommend using the section view mode (with or without sub-sections) to show a single section or subtree at a time (similar to how Windows Explorer or Mac Finder would work):

Cheers,
Tobias