Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Scheduling Test Rail Backup

I’ve looked through the documentation but couldn’t find anything in regard to my topic. Currently I am doing a manual backup where I go into Administration > Manage Subscriptions and select SCHEDULE EXPORT. The first time I did this I presumed it would ask me to set up a time to do the backup however the system automatically backs it up into a zip file. Is it possible to schedule database backups through TESTRAIL?

Hello,

Thanks for your posting! The feature is named Schedule Export because the export is not processed immediately and it can take a few minutes/up to an hour (for large installations) until the export is available. In addition to the backups/exports you can download under Administration > Subscriptions, we also automatically create backups for TestRail Cloud instances which we can restore on request (e.g. in case a user deleted a project by mistake). We also recommend downloading additional backups yourself from time to time.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

My team is going to set up a dedicated machine with an AutoHotKey script that just clicks that button every day.

I don’t understand why something as important as local backups can’t be done via the API. Are concerned that people would actually make use of the feature far more often?

This feature is mostly meant for migration purposes to a local TestRail installation (e.g. when a trial ends and the team goes with a local installation instead of TestRail Cloud). We automatically take backups every day for TestRail instances independently of this feature. You can also use this feature to create and download regular backups and store them yourself of course (and we recommend doing this from time to time), but it’s not usually needed to generate and download a full backup every day (so we currently don’t offer a scheduling option).

Cheers,
Tobias

My concern is the time it takes to retrieve that backup from you. What is the average turnaround time it takes for you to give a requested backup?

If someone accidentally deletes an important set of test cases, we don’t want to wait several hours to recover that data. It’s not a scenario that’s not going to happen often, but the moment someone accidentally does it at a critical point in our development cycle, I want to be able to provide rapid recovery.

We are usually very fast with restoring a backup once notified by a customer. Please note that restoring a backup would revert/undo all changes since the backup was taken and although we currently take backups 1-2 times a day per instance, this means that you would usually loose a few hours of work if you want to restore a full backup. An alternative is to restore the backup to a separate, temporary instance and then re-import deleted cases or suites to your production instance and this wouldn’t require resetting your production instance. This would only bring back test cases and not runs/results (like a full restore would do) but is still a good option if you only deleted test cases or a test suite, for example.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias