Subscribe Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security. Subscribe

Running Automated Tests from TestRail

While we would love to use Ranorex with TestRail, we don’t have that luxury yet. We are stuck using Microfocus Unified Functional Testing (UFT). Does anyone know of a way to kick off UFT tests from within TestRaiL?

Actually, on that same topic, if we ever get Ranorex, how would we kick off a Ranorex test from TestRail?

In the Customization forum I think some one got a button to kick off an automation test but that is not how Test Rail was designed to do.

Automation would run and then use the API to update the test result…

As @BGanger mentioned, the UI scripting may be of use here. I am unfamiliar with the use of either of these testing solutions, but if a normal javascript query could kick off your test then the UI scripting could too.

I am not an administrator for TestRail.

Can we make this into a feature request? Kick of Ranorex test from inside TestRail.

It has been asked for in the past but the answer has always been that TR is not designed to kick off automated tests. People have gotten it to work via a UI script but it is not supported.

I would bet that if they ever decided to support it - it would probably be via the Enterprise version of Test Rail.

Hello all and thanks for the post @patsrick1943,

As mentioned above, the best option for kicking off an automated test from within TestRail directly would be through the use of a UI Script. We do have a guide in our documentation that provides a basic example and should help you set that up here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-custom/automation-trigger

The example trigger script was built for use in a TestRail Server environment, and the guide does discuss uploading the trigger script directly to your TestRail server, but it should be noted that you can still set this up with a TestRail Cloud instance by placing the trigger script on the automation server and having the UI Script link directly to that location.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
We do have a server instance, but I am not an Admin. I’ll let you know if I have any issues with the sample.