Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Roadmap for TestRail

I’m really enjoying the demo of TestRail (self-hosted). I want to move our organization over to this platform - and in doing so, we have a lot of feedback (which I have posted and will continue to post as more comes in).

I have noticed that over the past few months, many features requests/etc. have been posted and each has received a reply (good on you) indicating, more or less, that “this feature is on [our] list”.

As a result, I have the impression that there must be a mountain of features being worked through.

Since I really want to see a few things addressed as soon as possible (to increase usability and practicality for us, and I suspect a lot of other TestRail customers)…

… would it be ok to share with us your “intended” features for 2.6? and beyond? Or at least what is currently being worked on, intended to be released in the near future?

Thank you!

Hello Knaledge,

Thanks for your posting. The main features for 2.6 are:

• improved user mapping between TestRail and bug trackers (user variables)
  • reworked test timer (In Progress) with a new column for test tables and a new window/popup that shows the in-progress tests for a user
  • additional options for the Steps custom field (support for expected/actual result fields)
  • many security related features (password policies, IP access restrictions, login rate limits, etc.)
  • api enhancements

Yes, the feature request and todo lists got fairly long now. Luckily, there are certain features that are mentioned more often than others and it’s relatively clear which features have a high priority for our customers (and therefore for us as well). Most changes/features we add to TestRail are inspired by customer feedback, so posting your suggestions and questions here or via email really makes an impact on the future release planning.

We currently design TestRail 3.0 and beyond. It’s still in its early stages, so I can’t really promise which features will be included eventually at this point. That said, two points that are really important for us are further improving the flexibility of TestRail’s application structure to help customers manage their projects with TestRail, and improving TestRail’s reporting capabilities to make it easier for customers to answer important questions about their testing efforts. In addition to this we want to make sure that TestRail’s user interface stays simple to use and to get started with, and make things like editing/viewing test cases and adding test results even more efficient.

Based on what we’ve learned from customer feedback over the last two years and with the help of recent technology improvements for web applications in general, we have a fairly good idea where we want to go with TestRail and what can/should be added/improved/changed in future versions.

Regards,
Tobias

Thank you Tobias! I just sent an e-mail to you both :slight_smile:

I am very excited for 2.6 and look forward to reading the entire changelist soon enough! Thanks for your time.

You are welcome and thanks for your email. We will answer it soon.

Regards,
Tobias

The new version is now available:

http://forum.gurock.com/topic/926/testrail-26-released/

The related posting will follow soon on our blog (likely tomorrow):

http://blog.gurock.com/

Regards,
Tobias

Thanks Tobias!

One of the first questions asked during my demo to staff yesterday was in regards to “Expected Results” per step.

I’m glad to see this was added as an (optional) custom field. Keep up the excellent effort!

Hello Knaledge,

The promised blog posting is now available:

http://blog.gurock.com/postings/testrail-2-6-released/2190/

Regards,
Tobias

Hello again Tobias!

It’s about that time again and it would be interesting to get a feel for what is slated to be coming up in your next version.

If at all possible, do you have any news to share?

Hello Knaledge,

Thanks for your posting. In addition to the regular development work, we’ve built mockups over the last two months for many upcoming features and UI changes. We currently try to prioritize features and enhancements. We can’t share the details yet as it’s not clear what will eventually be included in the product. Many features we designed will eventually be added but there are also some features that probably won’t make it.

Regards,
Tobias