Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Request: Shift "Add Test Result" UI to the test case UI itself

Currently, the user must select “Add Test Results” in order to record/track progress.

As a bit of constructive feedback and criticism, I find this to be a bit redundant.

Let’s consider the number of steps it takes (currently) to completely resolve a test case:

1. Find test case in Test Run, then view it
    ** 2. Click “Start Timer”
  2. (determine your results…?)
  3. Click “Add Test Result”
  4. Enter a comment and/or record your testing progress
  5. Click “Add Test Result”

** NOTE: Beginning at Step 2, and occurring again at step 4 & 5, UI elements are repeated (timer on test case UI vs. “Elapsed” in Add Test Result UI). Comments and test steps are also displayed on the test case UI but not interactive.

Let’s consider resolving a test case when we obviate the “Add Test Results” UI:

1. Find test case in Test Run, then view it
  2. Click “Begin Testing” (starts the timer - this could be a configuration point)
  • NOTE: At this point, the UI “unlocks” and the following occurs…
  • Test steps each have a progress indicator (P/F/U)
  • Case is able to be assigned
  • Files are able to be attached
  • New defects are able to be added/pushed
  • “Version” able to be edited (consider making this a pre-defined list…)
  • etc.
  1. Clicking “Pause” or “Finish” would pause timer or finish (resolve) the case

Comments in this view would already be available and able to be posted/etc.

Hello Knaledge,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, there is certainly some room for improvement here. I agree that some data is displayed redundantly on the test page and we also have some additional ideas to make it faster to work through the list of tests (so that you don’t necessarily need to navigate to the test page to see all test details, e.g.).

Regards,
Tobias

Glad to hear this is under consideration Tobias. Competing products do more or less what I have described and I’d love to see TestRail get there (and beyond) too.

Thank you for taking the time to read it over.

With the advent of 2.6.x, the “Steps” case/result field now has the option to display “Expected Results” .

In terms of “case field” - the expected results per step are now printed on the case UI itself.

I think this further promotes the idea of combining the case UI and the “add results” UI into one single page/form that locks/unlocks based on the current action being performed (progress started, etc.)

Yes, definitely. We will look into while we design TestRail 3.0.

Hello Tobias,

we have the same situation in the testing.

When a tester run the test case in the list of steps he wants to fix the result of the passage of each step, Status a test case “In progress”.

Is that possible?

Hello,

Have you already looked into using the separated steps control? This allows you to go through the steps (and assign a status per step) on the Add Test Result dialog:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-faq/config-steps

Would this work for you?

Regards,
Tobias

[quote=tgurock]Hello,

Have you already looked into using the separated steps control? This allows you to go through the steps (and assign a status per step) on the Add Test Result dialog:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-faq/config-steps

Would this work for you?

Regards,
Tobias[/quote]

Thx, Tobias!

Yes, we alredy used this functional.

But our testers wanted write a separate test step result any timeб when status is “In progres”.

Already entered the results of the steps to be stored in the test results. Now it is not so…

If I pushed the button to start progress, and then clicked to add the test result, I must enter all step results every step and set step stataus at once. If I do not do this, the report is not completed the results will be the status of untested.

TestRail can enhance the results and status of implementation of the step until the status in progress?

Thanks for the additional details. The user who added the result in the first place can edit it via the small Edit link and change the individual steps as needed. While it’s not supported to change the overall status for a test results, you can simply add a new test result to set the final status of the test (and maybe an explanation via the Comment field).

Please note that the Edit link is visible for 15 minutes by default only but this can be configured/disabled in the administration area under Administration > Site Settings > User Interface.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Tobias

Hi,

this is workaround, but our testers finded next:

When you edit test result, you can`t edit status test result. You can change status test steps.

It is unacceptable for us.

You can simply add a new test result with the updated/final test status to “override” previous results.

Regards,
Tobias