Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Request for another Test Status

It would be useful to add to the status on “Add Test Result” - “In Progress” would be useful for then a test has not been completed, say only some of the steps executed but not all.

Thanks

Hello Sarah,

Thanks for your posting. It is possible to add custom test statuses in the administration area under Administration > Customizations > Statuses. That said, while it would be possible to add an In Progress status, you could also look into using the general Progress feature:

http://blog.gurock.com/postings/testrail-2-6-released/2190/

(see Tests in progress)

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias

Yes, I like thte In Progress column - have now added this to my view - but how do you indicate that the test in progress, I can’t see any option for that. I’ve tried using the “Start Progress” button on the right and recorded a few seconds, but it did not display “In Progress”.

I also could not find the dashboard view of In Progress mentioned by this same article.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sarah

Hello Sarah,

Start Progress is the right action to perform for this and starting the progress shows your name in the In Progress column. Please make sure to refresh/reload the run page after you started the progress on a test in case you have multiple tabs open in your browser. The In Progress overview/dashboard can be found by clicking on your name at the very top of TestRail (where the arrow icon is shown).

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Toby

I’m sorry, but I’m not getting this… after I start/stop recording the test, I’m forced to either record a test result (which I’m not ready to do) or to cancel. Neither action is creating any In Progress flag to appear. What am I missing?

I know the feature can work, because one of our developers is showing In Progress - although that is against a test status Passed, so actually we want to clear that flag.

However, I’ve made 2 new custom fields (In progress and Not Started) - I need some info about how to set the colours - I’ve tried selecting from the colour palette bar that is displayed, but it’s just showing grey, and not the colours I chose.

Thanks
Sarah

Hello Sarah,

A test is only considered In Progress as long as you don’t stop the progress on it (ie. click on the Stop button). So, the In Progress should show your name after you clicked the “Start Progress” button.

Regarding the custom statuses, could you please make a screenshot of the Administration > Customizations page? You can email the screenshot to:

contact@gurock.com

Please note that each status has three different color variations (dark, medium and light) which are used for different purposes in TestRail (e.g. in the charts, the standard status box etc.) and you would need to configure all three of them:

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias

I’ve sorted it now, ie have configured the colours OK.

Thanks for your help,

Sarah

Great, thanks for the update. Just let me know in case I can help with anything else.