Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Request : Be able to use Filter and Sort at the same time

It would be nice to use a filter in a Test Plan and be able to sort without loosing that filter. In my experience, as soon as I click sort, I loose my filter.

Hello Valerie,

Thanks for your reply! I assume you mean the test run page with the tests & results, is this correct? The Sort and Filter options on this page are actually independent of each other and I’ve just checked this again:

So, changing the ordering/grouping wouldn’t reset the filter (and vice versa). Or do you mean a different page?

Cheers,
Tobias

Yes, I am in the test run page with tests & results
Exactly, I would like to be able to change ordering (in my case the Status ordering is important) without loosing my section created by selecting a filter previously (in my case, I created a custom filter to separate bugs from features). So, the view I want is : 2 sections, and each of them ordered by test result status. Now, as soon as I click status to change the ordering, my 2 sections are lost.

Hello Valerie,

Thanks for the additional details! The sort feature supports one level of sorting/grouping, so sorting/grouping by section and then status is currently not directly possible. If you use the section ordering, TestRail would always show the tests/cases in their natural order (as defined in the case repository). That said, it’s always an option to export your tests via CSV and then apply a custom sort (e.g. via Excel).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

OK thanks for the answer, I will do that for now. But you say : “is currently not directly possible”. Does that mean it might be something possible in the futur? :slight_smile:

Yep, multi-level sort may be available in the future and was recently added to our feature request list. Happy to add another vote to this feature request :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias