Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Report generation hung

We are using TestRail 5.2.0.3452. The report generation has stopped working. The background task is installed and running. When I try to initiate a report, a new entry appears, with the busy activity icon. The activity icon oscillates back and forth forever, and the report never completes. No entry is made in the reports directory on the server. What can I do to diagnose this further?

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your posting. Can you please double-check that the background task is triggered regularly (e.g. every minute)? You can check this under Administration > Overview. Does this happen with every report you create or just a few reports?

Cheers,
Tobias

Status is Idle (not locked, 0 messages). Last run 5min ago.

It happens for all reports that I’ve tried, including Plan (Summary) and Summary for Reference. It happens on multiple projects. It looks like this problem has existed since April, as the last report was saved on 22-Apr.

Regular email messages, such as assigning tasks to users, are being sent OK. It’s just the reports that are not working.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the additional details. This may be a memory limit related issue and there are two ways to troubleshoot this. Depending on your system (Linux vs. Windows) and the way you trigger the background task (e.g. cron), it is usually possible to see memory related errors in the trigger logs (e.g. cron). Another way to troubleshoot this is to enable TestRail’s debug logging:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-faq/system-debug

We can also recommend disabling or increasing the memory limit (especially for the background task):

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-faq/system-memory-limit

Cheers,
Tobias

Increasing the memory_limit from 128M to 512M has solved the problem. Thank you!

That’s great to hear, Phil, and thanks for the update :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias