Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Remove test cases with specific result from testrun

Is there a way to remove test case from test run via test result?

We happen to select too many cases which we do not need for this test run.
Therefore it would contains a lot of “Untested” result in this test run.
We don’t want to keep it cause it will makes the pass rate so low like 45%.
So we try to remove those cases with “Untested” result from the test run but we can not find a easy way to do this.

Any idea for this?

Thanks.

Alston

Hello Alston,

Thanks for your posting. You can simple remove the test cases from the case selection for the test run. To do this, edit the test run or plan and switch to “Select specific test cases” (or “select cases”). This will give the option to change your selection with the Select Cases dialog which looks similar to:

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Tobias

[quote=tgurock]Hello Alston,

Thanks for your posting. You can simple remove the test cases from the case selection for the test run. To do this, edit the test run or plan and switch to “Select specific test cases” (or “select cases”). This will give the option to change your selection with the Select Cases dialog which looks similar to:

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Tobias[/quote]

Dear Tobias,

I know how to change the selection of test cases.
The problem is that I can not filter the test cases with “test result” (attribute of test not case)
That’s why I ask if there is any other way to do this.

Thanks.
Alston

Hello Alston,

Thanks for your reply. A Status filter is currently not part of the Select Cases dialog and this only covers test case related fields. You could look into using the Rerun feature (which comes with a Status filter) if starting a new test run would be an option for you.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi,

I have the same issue where by default the full test suite was selected as part of test run and I have many not applicable tests which I would like to remove from the test result.

It would be good if you could include the status as a filter option in the select cases dialog ?

Thanks
Deepthi

Another option might be to add a new status for tests, e.g. “Inapplicable” or similar. With this you can mark tests in a test plan as not to be executed in this run.

This still gives a low success rate, but gives a better traceability of the original plan and the actual result. When deleting test cases from the plan due to whatever reason, you loose the information about the original idea and you are tailoring the result so to have a high success rate.

Just a suggestion

Hi all,

You can customize the case selection for runs/plans and don’t need to include all cases of the case repository/suite and this is the recommended way to exclude cases from runs/plans. Using a status such as Not Applicable etc. is also possible but the run/plan statistics are clearer if you simply omit/exclude the cases.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

hello! is there a planed feature to address this described issue? the suggested workaround do not really work for me so it would be really great to filter on result status during selection

Hi Christian,

Yes, it’s planned to look into this and a Status filter is something we would like to add to a future version. Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hello,

Are there any updates on this? I’m also interested in when this new feature will become available. I’m very much aware that we can remove test cases from the test run, and that we can exclude test cases from getting added to the test run in the first place. But in practice, we still end up having to remove test cases from the test run for whatever reason. To workaround this I have to have two windows of TestRail open, the left side displays the test run results, and the right side shows the edit test run page, and then uncheck test cases on the right based on the test result status on the left. This gets to be time consuming when you have several folders levels and test cases to check.

Hi Laya,

We currently don’t have an update but thanks for your feedback on this. It’s still planned to look into this for a future version. We also recommend the approach of using two tabs but I understand that additional filters (e.g. status) would be better/more efficient.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi,

I have the same feature-request. Any updates on this topic?

Thanks
Philip

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your feedback. There’s currently no update on this but it’s still planned to look into this.

Cheers,
Tobias