Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Reference Field for Test run creation

Hello,
I am trying to create a test run off of a list of reference ids(JIRA ticket numbers in my case)…is there a way i can use a list of reference ids in filter (string of reference ids) to create a test run or do i have to add each reference and set my selection filter?

Thanks
Haritha

Hi Haritha,

Thanks for your posting. You can either use the References filter on the Select Cases dialog or add the References column to the Select Cases dialog and then select your cases based on this (or use a combination of both). You would switch the case selection to manual/custom (as opposed to include-all) on the run/plan form and then use the Select Cases dialog to select just the cases you want to include.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Would you please let me know if I can create a test run from a string of reference #s.

I have attached a screenshot of the scenario that i am trying to accomplish:

Ex:
TBP-1234,TBP-3456,TBP-9000…so on
They can be comma separated or with no delimiter

I am trying to get the list from JIRA and use it directly to create the test run

Thanks
Haritha.

Hi Haritha,

Yes, you can use the References filter in the sidebar for this and then Set Selection. An alternative is to add the References column to the tables in the middle of the dialog and manually select the cases you want to include.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

I am using the side bar for my test case selection.
My string of JIRA ticket#s looks like below:
TBP-12311 TBP-12304 TBP-12292 TBP-12291 TBP-12290 TBP-12286 TBP-12285 TBP-12283 TBP-12280

Also I am attaching screen shots to show you what my screen looks like to better understand the scenario.

I am trying to use all the below combinations and still my search wouldn’t find any test cases:
“Match all of the following” with “Is” and “Contains”
“Match any of the following” with “Is” and “Contains”

Hope this helps to understand the scenario that I am trying to work through.

Thanks
Haritha.

Hi Haritha,

Thanks for your reply. You would currently need to specify each JIRA issue separately. You can include additional issue IDs in the filter by clicking the little plus icon.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Can we get this feature added as an improvement to the software. This feature will save us a lot of time when creating our test plans.

Can you get it added to the list of improvements please.

Thanks
Haritha.

Hi Haritha,

Yes, happy to look into this and I agree that having a large list of references is a bit difficult to use currently. Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,
Tobias