So, here’s my use-case.
- We’re using Robot Framework to drive the execution of automated tests.
- We have a long backlog of test cases that we have as potential candidates for automated testing.
- I have pared that down (let’s say to 500 cases) that are high-value and we want to get done first.
- These cases are currently spread across several Test Suites.
- I want it so that when an automated test case is executed, it pushes the result into TestRail so that we can document what the overall project’s test progress/quality is looking like.
- We need to be able to run these tests against two versions of our software.
Given this, here is what I’m thinking.
- Create a Test Plan and include all 500 test cases. Let’s assume this creates 10 test runs, all assigned to the “Next Version” milestone.
- The copies of the test cases that are now present in these 10 Test Runs now all have a new test case ID. I can use this ID and the TestRail API to push the test result into TestRail.
- However, the instances of these test cases in the “Current Version” milestone will have Different test case ID’s.
How can I run an automated test against one version of our software and update the copy contained in “Current Version”, and then re-run the test against a different version and have it update the copy contained in “Next Version”?
Is it possible to reference a test case contained within a Milestone using the original test case ID (i.e. the one you see if you navigate to it through the Test Suites tab)?
Thanks! Looking forward to having solid integration between the automates stuff and TestRail’s dashboards and reporting capabilities.