Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Questions about migrating from TFS self-hosted?

I’m evaluating TestRail for a number of teams. Here’s where we’re at:

• We’re using TFS self-hosted right now.
  • There’s serious talk about moving to VSTS in the coming weeks.
  • Most teams have moved into Jira for work item management.
  • I’m wondering if we should move test artifacts over to TestRail instead of migrating them into VSTS.

My questions?

• Where can I learn more about running TestRail on top of TFS? What does it take and could I test this out in the trial? Is there an easy path for transitioning from TestRail on top of TFS to moving everything into TestRail?
  • How well is TestRail going to handle 5000+ tests where half are manual and the other half are automated? We run thousands of automated tests daily and 24/7.
  • What’s the best way to export/import tests from TFS into TestRail?
  • Does TestRail integrate with VSTS should we require that option?

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the post.

• Where can I learn more about running TestRail on top of TFS? What does it take and could I test this out in the trial? Is there an easy path for transitioning from TestRail on top of TFS to moving everything into TestRail?

Running two test case management tools concurrently would ultimately be contingent on what works best for your team and workflow. It may be recommended to migrate one project at a time to have your testing transitioned to TestRail, however some teams have done a full migration and immediate switchover.

In regards to the trial, our trials are fully-functioning versions of TestRail, so you would not have any usage restrictions during your evaluation.

• How well is TestRail going to handle 5000+ tests where half are manual and the other half are automated? We run thousands of automated tests daily and 24/7.

TestRail is designed to be lightweight and flexible and would support testing of any kind, including automated testing, exploratory testing, etc… We also have teams with thousands of users using TestRail without any performance issues.

• What’s the best way to export/import tests from TFS into TestRail?

The best way to migrate tests into TestRail from another tool is using our CSV import feature, which would allow you to import your test cases into a project and map your import’s fields to fields in TestRail.

• Does TestRail integrate with VSTS should we require that option?

There isn’t currently a built-in plugin for Microsoft VSTS, however, you’d still be able to use the TestRail defect URLs to link to Microsoft VSTS for bug tracking and reference URLs to link your test cases to requirements. You would just need to configure the view and defect add URLs in TestRail’s integration settings.

Our Server version also allows you to create your own defect plugin if this is needed for your team.

I hope this information is helpful! You are also welcome to reach out to our support team at contact@gurock.com if you have questions about TestRail’s functionality, etc.

Regards,
Jon