Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Question on managing obsolete test cases in TestRail

How can we manage obsolete test cases which are present on a Test Run that is not yet closed and if we move those test cases to another Test suite named as “Obsolete” shall not removed the status of it’s previous run?

ninodooc,

I can only hint as to what we did with our implementation.

For your question about moving the test cases to a new suite: It is possible to move/copy a test cases from one suite to another, but if you “Move” the test case, it will remove (delete) it from any Test Run, including the Results. You can Copy the test case to a new suite (which creates a new test case) without loosing any information about it’s predecessor (still in the original suite / test run).

link: http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/userguide-tips
Under " Moving and copying test cases"

From the Getting Started document, this was noted under the Status section:

“Once a test run has been completed, you can close it from the run’s edit page. Tests of a closed run cannot be edited or changed, making it ideal for archiving test runs. Additionally, if you change any of the associated cases’ attributes (such as the expected result), the change won’t be applied to the closed and archived run.”

For my organization, we created a custom status for this type of test case and then filtered out the results for reporting. To do this; in the Administration Tab under “Customizations” / “Statuse” section, we modified a custom status for dealing with this type of Result. If you have not used all your custom statuses, you could create a new status called Obsolete and filter out the results using custom or pre-canned reports.

Sorry, not really an answer to your question, but I don’t think you can get to where you wanted to go without modifying some part of your process.

2 Likes

Hi ninodooc,

Thanks for the post! What mlampey said above is correct, and may be the answer to your question. Once a test run is marked as closed (by using the small lock icon on the top toolbar of the test run overview page) it will effectively lock all test details for that run, preventing any changes made to the included cases from affecting the existing run. If you move a test case to a separate project or suite for archived test cases after locking the run, the test data will remain present.

For active test runs, you can edit the test run and use the case selector to remove any test cases that are not valid or applicable to the run in question. This will remove the recorded results for that test run, but if you re-add the test case in later the result data will be remembered and will re-appear.

If the test case is still in an active test run and the results are necessary for your record keeping in that run, you would do best to keep the test cases present in that suite until you are able to close the run to prevent any loss of data.

The example mlampey pointed out for locating tests with the “Obsolete” status to more easily isolate them and move them later is a great idea if that would be applicable to your workflow.

1 Like

@jacob.scott @mlampey Sweet as ! I agree that having a custom field will be easier for us to manage Active and Obsolete test cases as well as the easeness of filtering it when not including them on a Test Plan and reporting.

Another approach we’re using is to prioritize your test cases and using a lower priority as deprecated or obsolete. A custom bit field will also server as a filter point if you don’t use priority.

@cliss1974 Perfect ! Need to tidy up and not to add any more fields so I think this is the best method :slight_smile: