Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Question about copying Test Cases to different Projects

I have figured out how to copy Test cases from one project to another project. But I’m not sure if it is working as I had hoped.
In my original Project, I have organized a Test Suite into many sections and subsections.

However when I copy these test cases into another project, the organization of the test cases are not copied along. The copied test cases do remain in their Section, but it does not appear to keep how the sections are nested in other sections.

For example, I have a section named ‘Feature 1’. In this section, I have a number of sub section ‘Feature 1A’, ‘Feature 1B’, ‘Feature 1C’… When i copy these test cases to the next project, it is not keeping the same organization I had worked to set up in the original project.

Is this the intended behavior of how the copy of test cases work?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your posting. You mentioned that the parent sections aren’t copied, do these sections contain any test cases directly? I’m asking this as the copy functionality currently skips empty sections. We are looking into this for a future update, but you could simply export the test suite to an XML file and import the XML file in the other suite again in the meantime. This would also include any empty sections that you’ve created.

I hope this helps. Just let me know if you have any further questions or comments.

Regards,
Dennis

I have give the export and import of test suites a try. I can see how when exporting and importing test suites, it will keep the original structure I have set up with. This is good.

But one annoyance I came across with using the Export and Import method. Between the two projects, at this point, I’m trying to keep the test cases synchronized. There is a lot of legacy functionality that will share the same test cases starting with this first project in TestRails going thru to every future project there will be.

So in Project 1, I have set up the structure on how I want the test cases to be. I then go back and start adding in test cases as I go along. I then get to a point to where one of the areas of functionality has a complete set of test cases for it. I then export the test cases in Project 1. I then go to Project 2 and import the test cases. After that process, i can see that the test cases have been properly copied and set in the same structure and organization I had in Project 1. Very nice.

I then go back to Project 1, and continue to write up more test cases, this time, working on a different part of functionality of the product. I get thru that part of the functionality for the test cases. My next steps it to get these test cases in Project 2 because this is still all legacy functionality and it will all apply.

If I export the test cases from Project 1 and then import them to Project 2, it will add to the test cases that are already there in Projects 2. It will end up duplicating most of the test cases in Project 2. This isn’t what i was hoping for. I was hoping that it would only import the test cases that weren’t already in Project 2.

It would be nice if the test cases could be completely separate from projects. The test cases that we have will be used for every project going forward. Its seems very hard to manage the test cases among different projects.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, you are correct, when you import the test cases again, existing test cases aren’t overridden, but the test cases are appended to the end of the test suite again. We are looking into ways to make it easier to share test cases between multiple projects or test suites for future updates.

That said, have you thought about using the same TestRail project for the different versions/apps you are working on? Is this for different projects that share a common set of test cases, or are you creating new projects in TestRail for different versions/releases of your product?

Thanks,
Dennis

Your advise of containing one project of all the test cases is my next attempt to see if that way fits.
Currently, we are in the ‘July’ project which has 6 new feature functionality, in addition to the current functionality. Each new feature was outlined in a milestone. Keeping track of the work done in the July project is easy enough.
But then work is starting up in the ‘December’ project. That project will have 5 new feature functionality, built on top of the July Project. These new features would again be tracked in the December milestones. So the idea is all of the test cases would be copied from the July Project to the December Project. This method I can see being a little tricky. Mainly because there will be some overlap in the work between the projects. Currently, July project gets extended, but work has already started in December project. So synchronizing the test cases between the two projects just seems risky in my little experience.

So i’ve given a try of having 1 project for all my future work. The six July 2011 milestones would be in the same project as the five December 2011 milestones and work could be kept track of that way. I haven’t got far in that process, but i will continue to see how it looks. I can imagine that reporting won’t be as nice as separate projects, but that maybe something i could deal with. I’ll let you know if i have more questions along the way.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your feedback and for the update. I agree that trying a single project for your product/software project would make sense. Most teams use TestRail this way and use milestones to separate the tests of the different releases. If you need an additional entity between milestones and test runs (e.g. to organize smaller iterations), you can also use test plans for this.

I hope this helps. Just let me know if you have any further feedback or comments.

Thanks,
Dennis