Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Push Step level Actual Results to JIRA

Trying to push the “Actual Results” fields into the JIRA bug description or comments. Can this be done or is the Comments Section the only thing we can push?

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your posting! You can also include the step details (step/expected/actual/status) as part of the push and this works by customizing the default template for the issue description:

This can be configured on the Administration > Integration page.

I can also highly recommend looking into our TestRail for JIRA add-ons which automatically show all test and results details in JIRA.

https://blog.gurock.com/?p=3365

The plugins can be used in combination with the Push feature or independently.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Ok this is good. (Is there a document somewhere where there is a list of these fields?)
Also could the images be pushed as attachments and referred to by !image.png! directly in JIRA?

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your reply! There’s currently no separate documentation for the fields but the list/dropdown you see under Administration > Integration when you configure the template is usually self-explanatory.

Attachments and screenshots you add to test results in TestRail are automatically shown in JIRA if you use the JIRA add-on and there’s no need to push them separately to JIRA.

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks Tobias. Works well as intended. And our goal is to use the setup as intended which will work well for our workflows.

My use case is such that I have to export the day’s tickets to excel including the attachments and screenshots. I know not an ideal situation, however until offshore can get on JIRA and Testrail, I have to export everything related to a JIRA issue including the test results.

Hello Tom,

Ah okay, I understand. It’s not directly possible to push the attachments. An alternative might to be use the print views in TestRail which would also include embedded screenshots and images.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias