Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Push repro steps to JIRA defect

Hello,

I’m running into a particularly frustrating issue. The reason could simply be that I’m missing something here.

I’m looking to include the steps for any given test case in the pushed issue (steps (testrail) -> Repro Steps (JIRA)).

I’ve tried multiple configurations wishing the JIRA integration configuration screen - Unfortunately, I don’t know PHP well enough to go that route and get low level with it.

Here’s what I’m seeing:

1. I set the steps field to push (by including steps=on in the push.fields block) - This results in an error telling me that the type isn’t set.
    1a. I add a type definition for the steps “field” by adding [push.field.steps]\ntype=text - This results in my integration configuration changing the default login to my JIRA account, and throws an error saying I should try my username rather than e-mail. At this point, I have to re-configure the JIRA integration manually.

If I attempt to match the steps with a custom field in jira, I’m able to get the field to show in the push form, but I need to auto populate that with the steps listed in the test case for it to be effective.

Any advice?

Hello Ryan,

Thanks for your posting! There are two different ways to show/push the steps in JIRA. The defect plugins have the option to customize the content of the Comment/Description field and you can simply customize the template to use for this field. This looks as follows and can be configured on the Administration > Integration page:

https://blog.gurock.com/testrail-3-1-now-available/

This would then automatically push the steps to the Description field in JIRA. Pushing this to a different field is currently not possible out of the box but I’m happy to explain the next option which would be even more useful.

Starting with TestRail 5.0, we also have a dedicated add-on for JIRA (that’s installed on JIRA’s side). This would automatically show test results on the issue page including steps, attachments and all other result details in a structured way. This looks as follows:

https://blog.gurock.com/?p=3365
http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/tools-jira

This even works without the Push feature but can also be used in combination. The add-on works by linking issues to TestRail’s cases/results (and vice versa) via the References and Defects field (on the case and result level in TestRail). The add-on would then automatically show the linked cases and results when you view an issue in JIRA. The JIRA add-on adds additional useful features such as reporting on the project pages.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks for the prompt response!

I did note that I could include the steps within the description, which will work for the time being. Though it would be nice to be able to map that data to the Repro Steps field on the JIRA side down the road.

As for the reference/Linking. I’m already planning to utilize that feature, but it seems to me that it will only really present it’s value after an issue has been written up (in the case of a test case failure), or to reference a requirement within jira, which we don’t currently utilize. Subsequent passes and the results of the test case will be reflected upon the issue being logged, but I’m wanting to include the steps to reproduce in the initial write up.

The solutions presented will work for now, I just need to communicate the behavior clearly to my colleagues.

Thank you!

Thanks, Ryan! The References field is mostly used for requirements/user stories/features, that’s correct. The Defects field on the Add Result dialog on the other hand is usually used to create new issues based on bugs you found while testing and it’s useful to see the steps to reproduce in a bug description (and with the new add-ons also the full result details).

Cheers,
Tobias

Hello, yesterday I integrated Jira but I cannot see the testRail:results, however when I set a test case as failed, I added the jira ticket to defects field and it also was in the references of the case case, I got then a ticket open in jira, "failed test… but I cannot see the test rail:results as you show in this post. I woul really appreciate if you can help me.

Hi Cristina,

Thank you for the post. When viewing the add-on in a JIRA ticket, you will see the following:

• Results: This requires that you have a test with the specific JIRA defect added to your test result
  • Cases: This requires that you have a defect or requirement ticket in JIRA input in the references field in your test case.

If you do not have either of the above two mentioned items present, you will not see anything in the TestRail section of a JIRA ticket.