Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Push defect - Linktype default value

Hi,

We’ve configured Testrail - JIRA integration so that each test case in Testrail has a Reference to a task in JIRA. We link all defects to the related task in JIRA.

In Testrail Project Defects configuration we have these:
[push.fields]

linktype=on
links=on

[push.field.links]
autofill=on

With this configuration when creating a new Defect the value (=Reference) for Links is automatically prefilled but the the value for the Linktype needs to be manually selected from a drop-down list. In this case the value is always “Relates”. I know it is only two clicks on the mouse to select the Linktype value but I would still prefer that the field is automatically prefilled to prevent any mistakes.

So - is there some way to automatically prefill the value for Linktype in Testrail? If not, are there any plans to add this feature?

Thanks in advance,
Tuomas

Hi Tuomas,

Thanks for your posting. There’s currently no option to automate this but we are happy to look into this, thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,
Tobias

That would be nice but it looks that testrail is not working at the improvements. I saw some other features like adding an attachment to a defect in the push defect to JIRA, this was requested several years ago but not implemented yet :frowning:
I think that this default value to fields is the lowest to them so the implementation will be in 10+ years …

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback! We still have plans to review this, however we don’t have a specific timeframe/ETA. We work on many things in parallel and when a feature is ready we implement it on the next version. Like many other software companies (e.g. such as JIRA/Atlassian), we wouldn’t provide any public roadmaps as we’d prefer not to overpromise and underdeliver. That said, there are many different factors that are taken into account when prioritizing various features and updates, and many of the improvements to TestRail have been based on customer feedback. In the meantime, with TestRail server it’s also possible to customize the defect plugin, and if you’re interested in this option you can learn more about this here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/defects-plugins-custom

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco