Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Print selected section test cases instead of printing the whole suite

I would like to print out selected section of test cases, however Print contain all test cases from the suite.

Is it possible to print out only selected section?

BR,
Vladimir.

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you for your post. TestRail would in fact include all test cases when using the print option. In this case it is possible to leverage the TestRail API to pull only the test cases that you are wanting. You could then use that output to create your list of test cases.

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-api2/start

We do actually have quite a few customers that use the API this way to pull only relevant test data.

Cheers,
Marty Lavender
Customer Success Team

Would prefer not to create another infrastructure tool to solve this problem, is it technically not possible to do and why does the filter not affect what is printed.

Could a custom report be created similar to the print option where we could select individual test cases, and print out all the fields in the test case.

Thanks
Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your feedback. It’s still planned to look into this and support the same filtering and grouping options with the print view. Currently the print view will always include all test cases & sections.

Cheers,
Tobias

+1 vote to this feature!

+1 vote to this feature.

Any updates here?

I’m a +1 for sure

Hello all,

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I can’t give any specifics on when or if this feature will be added to TestRail, but for now it is still on our development radar and I’ve added your votes to the internal request to help prioritize future TestRail updates. You can keep an eye out on our blog to stay up-to-date on all TestRail updates here:

https://blog.gurock.com/tag/testrail-release

+10 this is something that any other app can do, limit the print output to specific areas. If I find this annoying when I have just a started using this product imagine how people who have huge test suites will feel. This is something that should get more priority. Having an API that can do it is not much of a workaround.

Thanks for the feedback. Vote added.

+1 to this feature.

Thanks!

Hi @Brantley13,

Your vote has been added.

Thanks!
Jon

1 Like

It’s a poor poor system that takes “votes” without any action.

I mean, this question has been open 2 years. Thanks for “adding the vote”. Sheesh.

This is such a simple request. I want to be able to print a section of test cases, with their details, to whatever medium I want (PDF in my case). Then, I can give that PDF to whom ever I want. I can hire an agency to say “run these tests for me”. I can give them to some developer and say “heh, do these all look legit”. They don’t have to go through and learn a new interface (Testrail) and I don’t have to give them access.

But no, when I go to print out the details, it gives me a warning that “you have X number of test cases, this will take a long time”. OF COURSE IT WILL BECAUSE YOUR TOO STUPID TO KNOW I ONLY WANT TO PRINT OUT A SUBSET!!!

But heh, add another vote to such a basic feature.

The workaround that I used for printing :

1. Click the Print button
  2. Change the view to Details from the drop down menu
  3. Save the file as PDF.
  4. Confirm the page numbers that need to be printed, and print it accordingly.

However, this workaround is only useful for test cases that belong to specific folders.

Hope this helps! (Save paper, save environment)