Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Preconditions included in Test results?

Hello,

if a put another test case as a precondition (in format [C#]) for the one I included in my Test Run, will that precondition test case also included as ‘‘done’’ in my Test Run reports? If it is a precondition, I am anyway forced to do it for another test case, and I wouldn’t want to add it in that case to my run.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Bln,

Thanks for your post! The preconditions field wouldn’t provide any statistics for tests/test cases that are linked in the field, and you would want to be sure to also include that test case in the test run if you’d like to see statistics for this. If it’s not required to see statistics for the linked test case, then you can just leave this out of the test run. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco

It’s a shame that preconditions don’t provide any statistics :frowning: here’s the deal: We always make a test plan for each sprint delivery with 2 test runs inside: functional test run and regression test run. When doing functional tests, I’ve already executed some of the regression tests given that these ones often appear as a precondition for some functional ones, and when I create my ‘‘regression’’ test run it would be handy to have some way to identify these ones and not do them again.

Hi Bln,

Thanks for your feedback! This would make sense for your use case, however currently we can only recommend that you check and remove any tests included in the preconditions field that you’ve already tested manually. The preconditions field can also be used to provide any environment details and other conditions for the test as well, and may not always be related to another test, so this would be difficult to accomplish with the same field.

Regards,
Marco