Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

PDF versions of the reports

Has anyone tested the PDF creation of the reports with the new version 5.5?

I loaded 5.5 in our Test environment and tested emailing a report as PDF and then just downloading the PDF. I found errors every time. I never get the email even though I do get the test emails. When I create and then try and download as a PDF I get “404 - Not Found” errors.

Looking at the system logs I see the following:

[NotFoundException] Report file or resource not found

Details:
File: C:\Program Files (x86)\Resurgent\Web Sites\TestRail\sys\helpers\ex.php
Line: 25
Status Code: 404
Host: XXXXXXX
Uri: /index.php?/reports/get_pdf/1424/1 (GET)

Looks like 1424 is the report it is trying to load or send. Looking at the Report folder the report does seem to exist:

But in the PDF folder - nothing:

I don’t see any specific requirements for downloading as PDF so I assmue the install should be fine. If I download as HTML - no problems downloads in seconds.

We don’t really do reports but would like to have it available if it is needed.

Thanks,
Brian G

PS:
We are using Chrome 67.0.3396.62 and this is the trace form the logs:

Trace:
at ex::raise (ex.php:25)
at ex::raise (ex.php:77)
at ex::raiset (reports.php:399)
at Reports_controller->_stream_file (reports.php:461)
at Reports_controller->get_pdf (controller.php:257)
at Controller->_invoke_web_call (controller.php:168)
at Controller->_invoke_web (controller.php:120)
at Controller->_invoke (gizmo.php:107)
at require_once (index.php:106)

Hi BGanger,

thanks for your posting. This problem you encountered happens because you are trying to download/share a PDF version of a report that was generated before v5.5.0, where PDFs were not supported yet. Try creating a new report and you should be able to share/download PDF.

I hope it helps,

Regards,
Sabina

Hi - in the example in this thread was created on 6/4/2018 which was yesterday after I patched our Test environment. I created at least 2 new reports yesterday after I patched all with the same results which is why I posted…

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply! If the report was created manually after the update to TestRail 5.5 (and not scheduled before the update on a previous TestRail version), then there could be some other issue at play. Is this happening with all reports, even those that have been newly created/scheduled after you updated to TestRail 5.5? If the report was scheduled before TestRail 5.5 and the generation attempt was after you upgraded, then you may need to recreate the scheduled report again. If you’re still unsure, can you enable debug logs, create a new report manually with the PDF options, reproduce the error, and then send us a copy of the logs for review:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-faq/system-debug

You can send this directly to contact@gurock.com and reference this forum post. We look forward to hearing back!

Regards,
Marco

Marco - I will send in an email - all of the reports are non-scheduled. When I test a new TR version I always create a new report and I can see the report in TR but the PDF is not downloadable.

Email sent with log file.

Hi! Gurock team I have similar trouble! You know solutions? Please write how to fixed this problem?
Thank you!

Hi,

I have the same problem.

I emailed the support team Friday that the newest patch released did not fix our PDF issue. I might use Fiddler to see if I can get any more info.

Good, I check directory for report and I saw what directory with pdf is empty. I think pdf doesn’t created with report, I don’t know maybe it’s correct and pdf created of html report

Since our error is a 404 error on the GET for the report I would bet it does need to be created as part of the report creation and that folder should not be empty.

I’ve the same problem. Report is completely new, not scheduled. Server version, PHP 7.
I sent a bug report so support

Same for the 404 on PDF reports. And we have some troubles about reports, some of them are not complete.

i guess these issues never get resolved! too bad!

Hi all - these issues are gradually being resolved. Most of them via individual support tickets, which is why you haven’t seen updates to this thread. If anyone on the thread is still struggling with the problem then please feel free to reach out via contact@gurock.com, and we’ll be happy to work with you to remedy the problem for your specific installation context.

Our current understanding is that the issue is being caused on a small number of server installations where file permissions for PhantomJS are not being set correctly, which means the PDF files fail to generate. The fix, in most cases, is for the server administrator to update the permissions for the PhantomJS executable so that it can be run by the same server user as the TestRail installation.

For some Windows server installations, it may be necessary to check the file properties to ensure the PhantomJS executable is not “blocked”.

Kiéran, reports not completing sounds like a different issue than the one I’ve addressed above. Please provide some additional details (preferably on a separate thread) or reach out via the contact@gurock.com email, and we can look into it for you.

Cheers,
Simon

For me, the issue wasn’t permissions on the executable, as I checked those. It was the absence of the libfontconfig1 package, which is a dependency of PhantomJS on Ubuntu:

root@9fe786d9a862:/var/www/html# bin/phantomjs_x86_64 
bin/phantomjs_x86_64: error while loading shared libraries: libfontconfig.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Once I installed that package, I was able to run PhantomJS:

root@c1de377c77e1:/var/www/html# bin/phantomjs_x86_64 
phantomjs>

For Centos 7, you need to install fontconfig.x86_64 and/or fontconfig-devel.x86_64 .
@sjpknight kindly include this in docs when you get a chance?

@csbogdan & @drewhemm appreciate the additional insights! I will certainly update our documentation regarding same.

Seems to be fixed so far to me, yet some of my coworkers still facing it. Sometimes they actually get the file downloaded as pdf but it refuses to open with viewers, so you need to process it via editing tool (we using this one as an example but it’s a paid one https://edit-pdf.pdffiller.com/) and save as a new file. Long story short, something is quite wrong about it

Reports are generated properly but UI complains file not found!

---
Details: <missing>
File: /var/www/html/testrail/sys/helpers/ex.php
Line: 25
Status Code: 404
Host: testrail.localhost
Uri: /testrail/index.php?/reports/render/19 (GET)
---
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/11.1.2 Safari/605.1.15
PHP: 5.4.16
Server: Linux 3.10.0-862.11.6.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 14 21:49:04 UTC 2018 x86_64
---
Trace:
at ex::raise (ex.php:77)
at ex::raiset (reports.php:399)
at Reports_controller->_stream_file (reports.php:350)
at Reports_controller->render (<unknown>:<unknown>)
at call_user_func_array (controller.php:257)
at Controller->_invoke_web_call (controller.php:168)
at Controller->_invoke_web (controller.php:120)
at Controller->_invoke (gizmo.php:107)
at require_once (index.php:106)```

It has been confirmed to me (by Gurock) that there is something else that is still an issue preventing PDF reports from being created in the PDF folder.