Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Parent Field as Dynamic Dropdown?

Hello -

I apologize if this has been answered in other threads, but I have looked all throughout the forums and have been unable to find an answer. Here is what I am trying to do:

When I push a defect to JIRA from Testrail, I have turned on the parent field in order to open the defect sub to the parent story. This works fine, but I would really like to set up the field as a dropdown that is populated with all of the stories sub to the project I select. I have attempted to set up the parent field as a dropdown using the following parameters:

[push.field.parent]
label=Parent
size=compact
remember=false
required=true
type=dropdown

This does not work and causes the field to be unusable. Can someone tell me if this is either impossible with Testrail, or if it is possible guide me through the process? Thanks in advance! BTW, I am in the trial period, and so far am loving the tool. Great job!!

Hi John,

Thanks for your posting and great to hear that you enjoy TestRail so far :slight_smile:

I assume this it the Parent fields for sub-tasks, is this correct? You can configure/enable this as follows:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/tools-jira-fields#sub-tasks

It’s currently not possible to populate this field with all possible issues from JIRA currently and this is configured as an empty free-text field by default instead (to enter the parent issue ID). That said, you can use the autofill option to automatically reuse possible issues from the References field of the test case:

[push.field.parent]
autofill=on

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias - Thanks for your response. I had already played with the autofill, and saw that was a workaround. I was hoping for the dropdown possibility, as the autofill method requires a bit of additional work. Just being lazy :). Thanks for the rapid response!

Hi John,

Happy to help and good to hear that this works for you :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

is there any update on this topic?
We would also appreciate this feature very much, cause we are only pushing subtasks as issues to jira.
Would be nice to make the textfiled a dropdown with all valid US available.

Greetz

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your feedback! We currently don’t have an update and you can already enter the parent ID in the text field. I understand that having a dropdown would be better but there would be scalability concerns with very large JIRA instances (which may have tens of thousands of issues) so it’s a bit of a trade off between usability and scalability (a combination of a text field with an optional lookup would probably be best).

Cheers,
Tobias