Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Only one backslash is shown

1( Create a test case with the contents \10.100.108.122\wwwroot\lab\testdata\Shell.rdp
2) View that test case.

ACTUAL: [b][/b]10.100.108.122\wwwroot\lab\testdata\Shell.rdp
EXPECTED: \10.100.108.122\wwwroot\lab\testdata\Shell.rdp

Thanks for reporting this issue. I’ve just checked this and could reproduce this behavior here. I’ve tracked it down to the rich-text formatting routine (Markdown). We are not yet sure what is causing this bug in detail but we will most likely be able to include a fix in the next update.

What I found out is that specifying three backslashes:

displays what you would have expected with two backslashes in the first place:

This might work as a workaround in the meantime.

Regards,
Tobias

This was stated as potentially being fixed in the next update… but this was stated in 2011.

Is there a bug and a plan to include this fix?
In lieu of a text fix, can a hyperlink be made instead?

I believe it is because the first \ is treated as an escape character just like a Unix escape character. If there is a UNC path and there are underscores - the \ has to be used before the _ to get it to display properly.

Not sure if there is any workaround except to make it a link (if markdown can do that).

Hello,

Thanks for your postings. This behavior is caused by Markdown and \ is indeed used as an escape character by Markdown. It’s difficult to change this now that this behavior has been present in TestRail/Markdown for so long and we recommend using the \\ version.

Regards,
Tobias