Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

One Test Case with different permutations and combinations

We have one Test Case with different permutations and combinations, that has to be tested in the 3 different devices [Android, iOS, Windows]. But I need to create one TestRun with one TestCase which should show the Test Results for each device separately. Is it possible to do it in Test Rail… If Yes, please help us to do that.

Our Scenario is like below…

Steps :

1. I have created 5 Test Cases with Case Field called “OS_Types” [Android, iOS and Windows]. Its a Multi-Select drop down.

2. We want to create one TestRun with above 5 Test Cases which should run across all the OS_Types.

3. Once I ran my Test Run, I want to see the Test Results across the devices.

4. I want to see the Test Results for each and every OS Types separately and along with this I want to see the other details like “Assigned To” also.

Hi Selva,

Thanks for your post! We would recommend using test plans with configurations for testing against multiple environment/platform combinations. You can see how this works and learn how to configure test plans in our training video here:

http://www.gurock.com/testrail/videos/test-plans-configurations/

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco

Thank you Mgarcia.

I have one more requirement.

How can I add input test parameter like case field.

I have used that input parameter to my automation scripts.

Hi Selva,

Thanks for your reply! Can you provide an example of the test parameter you are attempting to implement? In general you can add any custom fields under Administration > Customizations, and these can be added either on the test case or test result level. So you can add a text field or similar to add any extra data/details:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/howto-fields

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco

Hi Magarcia,

Thank you…

I have give my test case Customizations values to input of my automation scripts and also update my test result.

Example:

1. We have user name text case field(Customizations) and password text case field(Customizations).

2. Added the user name and password in my test case Customizations.

3. I have to use that user name and password in my automation scripts.

4. How can I access testrail Customizations field data to my automation scripts.

5. And also how can I update my automation test result to testrail test cases.

I hope you able to understand my requirement.