Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

No way to update cases on import? only append. ouch

I built a test skeleton, creating sections, test cases and so forth. this was quick and easy. I exported to XML so that I edit the test case steps and expected outcome in VS so that I could take advantage of spell check etc.

when I imported the file back into the applicatioin, I thought this would nicely update the existing cases, since the test case #'s (c2…Cn) were in the file, instead, I got a duplicate copy of my section/case heirarchy with new case numbers assigned from the import. ouch. that hurts.

any way around this ?

forgive if was asked previous, but without search hard to find previous…

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your feedback. You are correct that importing a test suite via XML would not update the existing test cases but would add additional cases to the suite. The main use case for the import is to migrate existing test cases to TestRail initially. I understand that updating cases would be useful to have though. You could use TestRail’s API to update or add test cases instead in the meantime though, and you can do other useful things with the API:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-api/start

Thanks,
Dennis

how would we get the api enabled on our account ? as clunky as it sounds, I am willing to try anything to get away from our current solution test case web (TCW).

you probably know that the medium and large teams that would stick around for the long term need this capability to keep using your product. we need to get testing done and automating that is crucial.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I understand that it would be useful to have an option to update existing test cases via the import and we plan to look into this (we’ve opened a request so we can consider this for one of the next updates).

The API might still be the preferred way to implement any automations as it’s more flexible. We can enable the API for a TestRail Hosted account and can you please email the following details to contact@gurock.com, we would enable the API directly and email you the API key then:

• Your account’s web address
  • The user ID the API should be linked to

Thanks,
Dennis