Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

New Feature Request: Electronic/Digital Signatures

Hi there,

We use TestRail in a highly regulated environment (medical software) and have found that our logins to TestRail are not considered to be sufficient verification that a Lead or Manager has reviewed and approved test cases, results, or reports.

Consequently, we have a need to append electronic/digital signatures to our approved test cases, to test results, and ideally, to any TestRail-generated reports. As such, I’d ask that consideration be given to implementing the ability to digitally sign those (and possibly other) items within TestRail.

Regards,
Neil

Hello Neil,

Thanks for your posting! We have many customers in medical and highly regulated environments and one option is to print the reports and test runs to a PDF and then sign and archive the PDFs in addition to having the reports in TestRail. You can generate detailed reports/prints for cases & runs by clicking on the printer icon and then switching to the Details mode. There’s also a printer option for the reports. Would this be an option?

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for the reply.

Currently, we are using the method whereby we print a list of our Test Cases in an ‘Approved’ state (custom field) and physically sign that list.

Printing to PDF and digitally signing that really only gets us part way there. It probably doesn’t really reduce the steps in the workflow, while at the same time it adds another area of storage for our design history files.

We do already reference our Test Cases and Test Results in our DHF, so hence our desire to be able to digitally sign test cases within TestRail and keep the process wholly there - if that makes sense.

Regards,
Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the additional feedback, makes sense. I know that the printing approach (either to PDF or to paper) is used by quite a few customers in similar industries. This is quite flexible but I understand that having this feature directly in TestRail would be great to have and I’m happy to add this to our feature request list, thanks again!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Currently I add an uiscript to create a button to allow the manager to approve the report.

First I set a field Approved by in report, when member generate the report the field would left empty

After the manager click on the approve button, the approved by field will add the name of the manager and generate a report via create similar report automatically

But the problem is that the report owner would be the manager not the member.

Is there any way I can modify the report owner to keep own by original member?

Thanks.

Alston

Hi Alston,

Not sure I understand this correctly. The report owner is never changed by TestRail and is always the person who added the report (or scheduled report). Or do you mean something else, e.g. not the Reports tab?

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

I understand what you mean.
The reason I try to modify the report owner is that I try to add the approval process via the “create similar report”. In this way the report owner would change from the original owner to the one approved the report. This would be a problem if all the report owner is the manager not the original tester.

Thanks.

Alston

Hi Alston,

Thanks for your reply. There’s currently no option to change the report owner. One workaround might be to use generic Description text field to add additional details.

Cheers,
Tobias