Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Need cased ids based on "Automation Module"

Hi All,
I have around 80 testcases which are stabilized and want to give a weekly run for them.
I have them in Excel with test modules i.e Automation module updated.
I need case iDS for them to create a test run.

Please help.

Thanks,
Sreevalli

Can anybody please help

Hi there,

Thanks for the post. The best way to get test case IDs in bulk would be to use the get_cases API method, which will return the case details and IDs of all cases in a project, suite or section. If you’re looking for the IDs of tests that have been assigned into a run, then your best bet would be to use the get_tests method, which will produce the IDs of the tests within a specific run.

If you’re still having trouble, please reach out to the TestRail support team at contact@gurock.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks. But my input in this case is “automation module” which I have it in excel. I would need corresponding case_ids for the each automation module.

get_cases: For this API I need to pass suited, project id, where it will have all the test cases(1000+)

But I want case Ids for few cases where my input would eb automation module. Please help

Hey there,

Thanks for getting back to me. I’d like a little more information about how you’re trying to get this information. Is “Automation Module” a custom field that you’ve set up in your test cases, or is this a value selected in a different field? There is a built-in “automation type” field that was recently added, but there is nothing in the system for automation module.

If you can provide any additional context for what type of field and the values for it are present I’d be happy to help find a solution here. Feel free to reply back here or you can reach out to our support team directly at contact@gurock.com.

Yes, the “automation module” is the custom field we added in our testrail.

Hi valli,

Thank you for the update. There is not currently an API method that would allow you to input the value of a custom field to return a subset of test cases from a test suite. To get the case IDs via the API, you would need to use the get_cases API method. This API method does have some request filters available and you can find these on our website here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-api2/reference-cases#get_cases

Unfortunately, you wouldn’t be able to use the customer field as a request filter at the moment. We recommend retrieving the entire suite and then filtering the cases on your side. That said, we have received this request before and we do agree it would be useful. I’ve added your vote to this feature request which helps us prioritize this internally.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
John