Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Multiple Automation Scripts for a Single TestRail Test Case

For reasons outside of this discussion, I would like to have multiple automated scripts update a single TestRail Test Case in a Test Run. This is easy enough if all of the scripts pass, all of the scripts fail, or the last script to run fails.

The hard part is when you have a mix of passes and fails. If any of the scripts fail, I would want the Test Case to show a fail. If some of the scripts do not run, I would want the Test Case to show Untested.

Any suggestions of how to accomplish this?

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your posting! TestRail would use the status of the last result for the overall status of the test, so it would be best if you could coordinate this on your side. One possible option would be to keep track of the submitted results on your side and then submit a “final” result after all scripts have run. E.g., if one of the scripts have failed, you could look into submitting a final failed result to make sure that the test has the correct status. Is that something that could work for you?

Cheers,
Tobias

Thank you for your reply. That’s what I was considering and it shouldn’t be too hard to handle on my side.

Hi Steve,

Great to hear that this works for you :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias