Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Multi-select question

Good morning TestRail team!

First off, I am loving 2.7! My test team plans on rolling out custom statuses and multi-select fields in the near future. Thanks for all the hard work improving the product each release!

My question is around multi-select fields. I am using it for a tagging system. My problem is that we have over 250 tags (yikes!). Is there any way to break up the list of multi-select values so they are easier to read?

Currently I am trying something like the following:

10000,—LETTERS—
1,a
2,b
3,c
10001,—WORDS—
4,dog
5,cat
6,jumps

The “—LETTERS—” and “—WORDS—” break up the list into quickly identifiable groupings, but they are also selection values for the multi-select field (which I don’t want).

Any ideas here?

Thanks.

-Will

Hello Will,

Great to hear that you like the new version and thanks for the kind words, that’s really appreciated. :slight_smile:

Regarding your feature request: that’s currently not supported unfortunately, but I understand that this would be useful in such situations. This may be a bit difficult to implement as we are using a third-party control for the selection (which doesn’t support grouping, I believe), but we will look into it. I’ve added it as a feature request for now.

A good alternative would be to use a tag layout as follows:

letters-a
letters-b
letters-c
words-dog
words-cat
words-jumps

This is a common approach for grouping tags/multi-select values and has the advantage that the grouping is displayed as part of the tag. Would this work for you?

Please let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias

Great idea for the tag layout Tobias! Thanks for the help.