Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Multi-select bulk edits

I did some searching and couldn’t find any info on this but my scenario is this:

I have a batch of cases with multi-select values 1 and 3 and I want to bulk edit them to add value 2 so that the multi-select field value is now: 1, 2, 3. If I try to mass-edit and add multi-select value 2, the functionality will delete 1 and 3 and leave only the 2 value I added unless I have the new edit be “1,2,3”.

Adding all the values I need when I edit would solve my problem but I don’t know the values I’m adding to most of the time. Sometimes the cases might be 1 and 3, but sometimes they might also be 1 and 4, or 4 and 5.

Is there no other way to simply add a value without doing it for each case individually?

Thanks

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the post! Currently, TestRail’s bulk edit of test cases would apply the same data to all selected cases, overwriting any previously entered data. There is not an append option for the bulk edit feature at this time.

You may be able to sort your selection of cases being updated by the existing multi-select values and update these in batches instead of individually.

You can also use the export to XML feature in TestRail and export your test suite to an XML document. This would allow you to perform bulk changes to your test cases and then re-import the test cases with the ‘Update existing test cases’ option.

Alternatively, you could use TestRail’s API to retrieve test case data, and then update the test cases using update_case and this would allow you to programmatically submit the existing values and new value to the test cases.

I hope one of these options helps,
Jon