Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Moving tests between suites

I’m reorgainsing our test rail projects and in the process creating a new tree structure

I have moved a lot of my tests within a single test suite but now i want to move some from one test suite to another. I know how to do this, but it will not do it without destroying the results history - is there anyway to retain the results (even through the database itself) ?

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your posting. You can close test runs & plans to archive test results before moving cases to other suites or projects. This will make sure the test results are still there even if you move or delete test cases:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/userguide-tips#closing_test_runs

Cheers,
Tobias

Tks Tobias - I will give that a try

You are welcome, Dave, and please let me know in case any questions come up.

Cheers,
Tobias

Tobias

What would happen to an exiting run that was still active if I moved some tests that it referenced - would they link to the new location automatically or would they just work as they are (ie the run already has its own copy of the tests) ?

We have a big regression test run that was meant to complete last week but support issues and christmas leave has put it on hold.

I’d intended to do all the reorganization during the quiet period when everyone else was partying but this could hold it up…

Dave

Hi Dave,

Moving cases to a different suite or project would remove the related tests & results from active runs. While a run is active, there must be a case (in the suite/case repository) for every test and deleting cases would also delete the tests/results in active runs. This is different for closed runs because the cases are copied internally when closing a run (so that case changes or deleted cases don’t affect closed/archived runs). So, we would either recommend closing the run or finishing the run before you move your cases.

Cheers,
Tobias