Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Moving test results back to untested

Good morning TestRail team,

Is there any way to move a test case result back to untested? I need to roll back a few results due to user error.

Thanks.

-Will

Hello Will,

Thanks for your posting. Resetting a test to Untested is not supported as TestRail was designed to keep a full history of old test results (to provide an audit trail). In case of user mistakes, the usual workflow would be to override the previous results by setting the test to Retest (and then assigning/testing the test again).

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias

Thank you Tobias. I was thinking that retest would be the workflow, but wanted to double-check.

Just from my point of view, delete would be great. Perhaps a good comprimise would be a way to indicate that a particular test result was not relevant or was invalid in some way, and would perhaps minimize the result to an single expandable row.

Perhaps its just the way we use it. We have automated tests using the same run multiple times. If a test fails because the server was unavailable or some other technical issue, we’d love to have a way to indicate that this result didn’t really imply a true failure.

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your posting. Deleting/Resetting test results is requested from time to time and this is already on our TODO list/list of things to look into. We currently tend to keep this as is but adding a delete action + an additional permission may also be option. We will make sure to look into it for a future version.

Regards,
Tobias

Please note another request for this enhancement.

Thanks!
Donald.

[quote=tgurock]Hello Chris,

Thanks for your posting. Deleting/Resetting test results is requested from time to time and this is already on our TODO list/list of things to look into. We currently tend to keep this as is but adding a delete action + an additional permission may also be option. We will make sure to look into it for a future version.

Regards,
Tobias[/quote]

Hello Donald,

I’ve added another vote to this request, thank you.

Regards,
Tobias

Please add my vote to this feature request

Hi there,

I have gone ahead and added your vote.