Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Moving report files

I have inherited the administration duties for a TestRail server in my workplace.

I noticed that for some reason, our server is configured so that both attachments and reports are written to /var/testrail/attachments. :confused:

I would like to reconfigure this instance so that the reports directory is /var/testrail/reports.

The only question is how to handle the existing report files.

From what I can tell, it looks as though I can just move /var/testrail/attachments/201? to /var/testrail/reports.

Would this work correctly, or are we stuck with the way things are now?

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for your posting! Having this in the same directory wouldn’t be an issue and would also make certain tasks a bit easier (backups, for example). But it’s also possible to change the existing directory and move the existing reports if you prefer this. It’s just important to keep the same file and directory permissions for the existing directories and set up the report directory according to our documentation:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-admin/installation-unix#installing_testrail

Assuming your Apache user is www-data, I would recommend the following:

$ sudo mkdir /var/testrail/reports
$ sudo chown www-data:www-data /var/testrail/reports
$ sudo mv /var/testrail/attachments/201? /var/testrail/reports

You can then update the Report directory under Administration > Site Settings and point it to the new directory.

I hope this helps but please let me know in case you have any questions.

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks for the advice, Tobias. Glad to know it’s okay if we leave it the way it is. I’ll likely go ahead and split off the report files anyway (it’ll give me organizational warm fuzzies :grin:), so thank you for verifying that will work too.

No problem, happy to help :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias