Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Minor change requests

Every release I make a couple of minor code changes in the Delphi source, but it would be nice if these could be incorporated into the main code base:

1. Custom Time Stamp format (TSiTimestampToken.Expand) - I use “mm/dd/yyyy hh:nn:ss.zzz” instead of the default in order to match other logs. It would be nice to have a property where this could be customized.

2. Custom Thread Id format (TSiThreadIdToken.Expand) - I use a fixed width so that text log entries are a bit better formatted. Again, it would be nice if this was customizable.

3. TSiHash.HashOf throws exception if OVERFLOWCHECKS is turned on. {$OVERFLOWCHECKS OFF} could be used in the method.

Thanks for considering the changes.

Hello Katoa,

Thanks for your posting.

1. Which version are you using? This exception should already be fixed actually. I disabled {$OVERFLOWCHECKS} in the SmartInspect include file (SmartInspect.inc) a few releases ago because of this exception.

2. Good idea, thanks. I think it would be a good idea to generally allow width changes in the format string. I added it to our feature request list.

3. The format string for the text protocol is already prepared to do this (i.e. variables can take options like “%timestamp{mm/dd/yyyy hh:nn:ss.zzz}%”). I think we will enhance the TSiTimestampToken class to use this option string to allow custom time stamps in one of the next releases.

Have a nice weekend.