Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Milestone IDs with NULL values

Hi,

I am still using the 2.3.1.871 Testrail version. We plan to update soon.

I was trying to pull some data from the database to generate some specific reports. I found out that the milestone_id field is set to NULL (around 1% of rows) but I do not see why because in the GUI, the milestone is good and showing. I have 8 milestones and 4 still uncompleted in the milestone tables.

In the “runs” table, the “milestone_id” is set to NULL for 3 rows :

SELECT id, suite_id, milestone_id, created_on, project_id, is_completed, include_all, is_plan FROM testrail.runs where milestone_id is null;
±----±---------±-------------±-----------±-----------±-------------±------------±--------+
| id | suite_id | milestone_id | created_on | project_id | is_completed | include_all | is_plan |
±----±---------±-------------±-----------±-----------±-------------±------------±--------+
| 113 | 14 | NULL | 1311861612 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 0 |
| 92 | 12 | NULL | 1311624239 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| 242 | 1 | NULL | 1315854477 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Thanks in advance,

Louis

Hi Louis,

Thanks for your posting. The milestone_id field in the runs table specifies the milestone those runs are assigned to. You don’t necessarily need to assign a test run to a milestone and when you don’t specify a milestone for a test run, this field is NULL. For example, when you open one of those runs (e.g. by entering R113 in the search box) you can see that it isn’t assigned to a milestone (in the sidebar). You can edit the test runs to assign them to a milestone if you like.

I hope this helps. Just let me know in case you have any further questions.