Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

[Migration] Migrate test plan with step_separated

Hi,

I am trying to use the migration script to migrate my test plan into test rail.
Currently I am using the steps example to migrate (since I am using steps_separated) but I would like to customise it so that I can add a main step for my test case an a main expected result.
Has anyone done this before?

Thanks!
Guy

Hello Guy,

Thanks for your posting. Could you please let me know what you mean with main step/expected result? For example, do you want to use the separated steps control AND the standard Steps/Expected Result fields at the same time?

Regards,
Tobias

Hi,

Yes I would like to use the main step and main expected in my test case as a general overview of the test case while at the same time be able to continue adding separated steps in the same CSV sheet.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hello Guy,

Thanks for the additional details. You would need to use a combination of the “steps” and “simple” example of the csv2testrail migration script in this case. The default steps and expected result fields are standard text fields and accepts arbitrary text. They use the “$custom[‘steps’]” and “$custom[‘expected’]” identifiers in the CSV migration script. The separated steps field uses a more structured approach and you can see a full working example in the “steps” migration script. The identifier to use is usually “$custom[‘steps_separated’]”.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Tobias

Works now thanks!!

Thanks for the confirmation, Guy!

Regards,
Tobias