Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Migrating to new server

Hi,

I submitted a help ticket already for this, but figured I would post here as well as others might find the information useful. I am trying to find out what the necessary steps for migrating to a new server would be. This would entail a new DB server and app server. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Hello Jon,

you can basically install TestRail on the new server as usual and then need to migrate your existing data. There’s currently no export in the application itself, so you would need to use a database administration tool to export your data (and import it later).

Popular tools for these tasks are phpmyadmin (a graphical web-based tool) or the MySql command line tools (mysqldump/mysql). Phpmyadmin is probably the simplest option and can directly be installed with apt-get. Just let me know in case you have any questions.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

I was able to get it installed and migrated by doing precisely what you said…the only issue I am having now is that I am getting the following errors from the background task…

ERROR - 2009-10-26 14:27:22 --> task: Unable to acquire lock
ERROR - 2009-10-26 14:22:53 --> task: Unable to acquire lock
ERROR - 2009-10-26 14:22:09 --> task: Unable to acquire lock
ERROR - 2009-10-26 14:21:58 --> task: Unable to acquire lock
ERROR - 2009-10-26 14:21:54 --> task: Unable to acquire lock
ERROR - 2009-10-26 14:20:04 --> Query error: MySQL server has gone away
ERROR - 2009-10-26 14:20:04 --> task[notifications]: Aborting notifications
ERROR - 2009-10-26 14:20:04 --> task[notifications]: Failed to send email
ERROR - 2009-10-26 14:20:04 --> Severity: Notice --> fwrite(): send of 2 bytes failed with errno=32 Broken pipe /home/interne/public_html/testrail/system/libraries/Email.php 1707

Any ideas?

Jon

The ‘Unable to acquire lock’ message is actually not really an error but more like an info message. This message is logged in case a background task is started when a different instance is already running. The started background task checks is a different instance is running and logs this message and exits if it sees another instance.

So, to be a bit more specific, if you let cron start the background task once per minute and the task runs longer for one minute, you will see this message. The task can run longer than one minute if it has many emails to send or fails to send emails (and times out while doing so), for example.

Regards,
Tobias

Thanks for the update Tobias! I’ve now gotten rid of the lock message (expanded time 5 mins), but now it is just keeps sitting on the Running status, and never updates or actually sends the messages the are queuing up.

Jon

Just to let the other readers know: we handled this via Skype/chat.

Jon: I can send you the promised instrumented version of the background task hopefully tomorrow.